Mentoring

Idunno

• Members

In the past I've taken opportunities to "show what I know". I didn't see it as mentoring until tonight.

I met a fellow a year older than me tonight who mentors kids with musical interests. He's been doing it for about 10 years. He's a singer and guitarist of average abilities (from what I saw tonight) and passes what he knows to the kids he mentors. He avails himself through his church affiliation. The kids I met prefer a regimented method of instruction, which he offers. My son is one of the kids he mentors (barber shop quartet) and I'm seriously giving the idea of contributing my time in a more formal way than I have in the past.

I don't see it as taking money out of the hands of professional instructors because these kid's parents do not have that kind of disposable income. IOW, they would not get any kind of instruction if mentors were not available.

That is all. Back to your regularly scheduled on-topic discussions.

• Members

Don't underestimate the power of one. I can honestly say that my life arch would have been considerably different (in a negative way) but for the voluntary time given to me by singular adult who took an interest in me and cultivated a positive outlet for my teenage anger and listlessness.

• Members
Don't underestimate the power of one. I can honestly say that my life arch would have been considerably different (in a negative way) but for the voluntary time given to me by singular adult who took an interest in me and cultivated a positive outlet for my teenage anger and listlessness.

I saw that last night. Until that moment I'd never been close to anything like it and can genuinely say that it threw some seriously contemplative introspection my way.

• Members

Well, we'll see. I contacted the academy and it turns out they are a commercial for-profit company that sponsored the evening's show. It was like a fancy open mic with a dinner. Well organized, I have to say I had a good time. But, the mentoring thing will have to be through another organization I did not get the name of. I'll see the dood again next week or so. Thanks.

Archived