Please instruct me.

• Members

I'm doing sound (I'm playing a list of iTunes music) using my sound rig this weekend at a family party.

MixWiz + QSC subs and tops.

How do I use GATE/COMP/LIMITER to help even out the volume of new vs old songs?

Thanks in advance.

• Members

I'm doing sound (I'm playing a list of iTunes music) using my sound rig this weekend at a family party.

MixWiz + QSC subs and tops.

How do I use GATE/COMP/LIMITER to help even out the volume of new vs old songs?

Thanks in advance.

Ryan,

I assume that you mean modern music vs music from earlier decades (60's/70's). In this case, it's unfortunately not as easy as simple compression. When done wrong, or over done sounds terrible. The best way I've found to do this is to import all the songs you want to play into a computer and level out the volumes in a editor such as Audacity. You can also use iTunes to do this, but I've had mixed results. I'm sure others (especially DJs will pipe in).

• Members

itunes has a function to normalize the volume so just use that if you have a mac. If you use a PC consider using mp3Gain to normalize your entire collection non-destructively. It writes to the tag and can be undone and works very well. FWIW, I set it at 91 (default is 89, but that's just too low).

I do have a limiter on mine just because I use a Presonus StudioLive so I can, but it's only as a safety net for any tracks that I may have forgotten to run mp3Gain on.

• Members

I've used both of these options with okay results. Just seems like classic rock will be nice and smooth and then some alternative rock will come on with the kick pounding away. Perhaps I'll stick with some nice dinner jazz. ;)

Thanks for the input so far guys.

• Members

I've used both of these options with okay results. Just seems like classic rock will be nice and smooth and then some alternative rock will come on with the kick pounding away. Perhaps I'll stick with some nice dinner jazz.
;)

Thanks for the input so far guys.

I've been using mp3gain for several years. It works fine and will do the job. Newer stuff is just more bass heavy as it has broader frequency response, especially compared to the analog tapes of 60-early 80's recordings. There's not much you can do about that.... EQ and compression aren't the same thing. If it's a family party you really don't need the volume at a level that anyone will notice an audible difference from Boston to Black Keys.

• Members

If you are using an ipod, ipad, iphone or mac to play the music go to settings and switch on 'sound check'. This works pretty well for evening out the volumes but you still may need to adust a slider every now and then.

Cheers

• Members

If you are using an ipod, ipad, iphone or mac to play the music go to settings and switch on 'sound check'. This works pretty well for evening out the volumes but you still may need to adust a slider every now and then.

Cheers

Cool! I didn't know this. What is iTunes match?

Archived