What Fingers Do You Use?

Chip Stewart

• Members
I generally use all but the thumb on my fretting hand. For the fingering hand I use i and m most of the time with a sometimes for faster stuff. I'm not much of a thumb player. (i-m-a are index, middle and ring fingers respectively)

a is used in classical guitar terminology. I think it has Latin roots. Not sure sorry

• 1 month later...
  • Members

For fingering, I use all four, never putting the thumb on the fretboard. For plucking, I use index, middle and down stroke the thumb on occasion. I did learn way back to hold the tug on the treble side and down stroke with the thumb, ala Brian Wilson years back. I hit octaves from root with the third finger, never octave with pinky unless I'm playing upright. When I learned, you were "supposed" to pick with those big felt picks, which I did as a kid but never like them. They made an ungodly mess too. I on occasion use a pick but I use a dunlop. I never liked slapping and popping so I don't do that. Although I will hammer a roundwound off the fret board to get some clank once in a while for fun. And a lot depends on the bass, and the strings.

Archived