Yamaha FG-180

johnbarnesiii

• Members

Hi guys, in looking for an acoustic with a warm tone, I read about the FG-180, I think the same kind that Elliott Smith used to play. Anyone played this model and has some feedback? Where can I find one for sale? What is a reasonable price range for a used one? What are your impressions of this guitar? Thanks.

• Members

The last FG180 was made in 1974. MSRP then was $130. They were cheap laminate guitars then. They are forty plus year old cheap laminate guitars now. IF you could find one today, it will have multiple age related issues that will cost more to fix than it's worth. freak.gif

It makes no sense at all to seek out a 40 plus year old cheap guitar. :confused2:

• Members
The last FG180 was made in 1974. MSRP then was $130. They were cheap laminate guitars then. They are forty plus year old cheap laminate guitars now. IF you could find one today' date=' it will have multiple age related issues that will cost more to fix than it's worth. [img']http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/core/images/smilies/freak.gif[/img]

It makes no sense at all to seek out a 40 plus year old cheap guitar. :confused2:

^ This. Go find an FG700S. You'll be much happier.

• Members
Hi guys' date=' in looking for an acoustic with a warm tone, I read about the FG-180, I think the same kind that Elliott Smith used to play. Anyone played this model and has some feedback? Where can I find one for sale? What is a reasonable price range for a used one? What are your impressions of this guitar? Thanks.[/quote']

I have an FG-150 that I bought new in 1969 for a hundred bucks. I love the old gal but it has acquired some significant problems over the year which I have fixed (I fix old guitars). Old Yamies have a bit of a cult following and sometimes you see some pretty ridiculous prices being asked. The most common problem is needing a neck reset which is very difficult (some techs won't do it). So, if you find one with a perfect neck angle it is probably worth somewhere in the $100 - 200 range (but people will be asking more). If you find one that needs a neck reset it is basically worthless (but people will be asking more). It will also need a full or partial refret ( up to $200) and probably new tuners (50)

There are lots of brand new "warm" sounding guitars in the under 500 or so range - save yourself some headaches and pass on the old Yamahas

• Members

Thanks guys for the replies. I hear what you're saying, I guess I had thought that the age would mellow the sound and give it some vibe. Yes there seems to be a sort of cult following for the fg180, but I understand everyone's point here, it may not be worth the trouble for an older acoustic like that.

With that said, I can get a new Yamaha fs700s for around $160 plus tax. Then I also saw a used 1970 fg180 for $135 plus shipping (around $35 guessing), so pretty much same price.

with regards to tone, how different would they be from one another?

i guess you guys will recommend going with the fs700s then?

• Members

The mystique around the FG180 is because they're LOUD and have a lot of bass. They really lack any sort of sweet sounding mids. Between my brother and I we've had 4 of them and we thrashed them for years at parties.

They just do storage duty now. I highly recommend having a look for an LL6, which I think is the best bang for buck Yammy. Mine is loud AND sweet. I paid about $350 USD for mine used (in NZ).

• Members

Hello,

I have a FG180J Black label which was made in Japan 1974.I paid ¥8000 for it on Yahoo Auction (about $60). I can't say enough good things about this guitar and I've had no age-related problems or issues with it at all. As you probably know, the red label fg180's are the most sought after and can go for anything up to $500. They have a spruce top and mahogany b/s, the black label has spruce top and Agathis b/s. There is an even earlier model with a green label but these are very rare and expensive. Besides the difference in labels, there are two types of headstocks; the older ones have the YAMAHA Signature while the later ones have the tuning fork mark. Elliott Smith's red label had the YAMAHA mark. Some of these were also made in Taiwan as well as Japan which can effect the value.

Anyhow, I would definitely recommend a Fg180 if you can pick one up for less than $300. I've owned and played a few other Yammy's but this one really is quite special in my opinion. My other guitar is a Lowden 025 and I play the Fg180 more than I do that.

• Members

Age doesn't mellow the sound of a laminate like it does with solid wood.

Have you actually put your hands on that FG180? How's the action? How's the neck angle? How's the frets? Unless you've confirmed that it has no major issues, you're probably buying yourself a bunch of grief.

With regards to tone, a solid topped guitar is always going to beat out a laminate topped guitar.

IDK where you are, but if the FS700S is available, that's a good candidate It's more of a 000 size and shape. Here in the US, the FG700S is far easier to find. It's more of a dreadnought shape, with some minor differences. They're both good.

• Members

Todoroki thanks for your insights. I'm still considering the used fg180 despite others comments to the contrary. Others are saying the 180 is laminate and that a solid top like the fs700s will be a better way to go. I feel I can always get a fs700s bc they're everywhere but I'd like to at least consider trying the 180 just to experience the loud warm bassy tone. I'm not sure which version the one I saw is (in terms of earlier or later) but I'm just so curious about it. I did try a new fs700s which I liked so I'm just trying to compare the two before I decide. Thanks again for sharing your experience with them.

• Members

With that said, I can get a new Yamaha fs700s for around $160 plus tax. Then I also saw a used 1970 fg180 for $135 plus shipping (around $35 guessing), so pretty much same price.

with regards to tone, how different would they be from one another?

i guess you guys will recommend going with the fs700s then?

I'm going to repeat myself. IF you are qualified to judge a used guitar AND that one has a perfect neck angle, good frets and no other issues, THEN buy it. If any one of the previous conditions is not true, then avoid it like crazy.

Normally I say that if you are qualified to judge an older guitar there are certain things I would overlook because I know they can be fixed. Neck angle is the big one - most older guitars have bad neck angles but I know how to reset them (or I know the cost of having it done professionally - about $300). I would simply factor that into the negotiation on the guitar. I bought a '74 D-18 for 600 bucks, put another 700 into reset, frets, and some miscellaneous repairs - it is a killer guitar. OTOH a reset on an old Yamie is damn near impossible - most techs won't do it.

So, yeah, I recommend going with anything but a sight unseen FG-180

Archived