Remember the good ol' days...

epi56ebony

• Members

When there would be several pages on the great deals we got at a Guitar Center Holiday Sale?? The massive blow outs of old and shop worn inventory?

My best deal ever, since sold, 1958 Custom Shop Les Paul for $1,800 out the door!! :)

Like the Mary Hopkin song says "Those were the days my friend,, we thought they'd never end...:(

• Members

Not that I was necessarily here, but I do remember the days of great deals.

I remember when GC had like five different coupons at the same time, but someone screwed up and they were all stackable.

I was too… whatever… to take much advantage of it, but I did want a second drum kit and got one for 1/5 the regular MAP price.

One guy on TalkBass got four or five Musicman Basses… :facepalm:

• Members

And tomatoes tasted of tomato. However the world is a dynamic place and nothing stays settled too long.

Funnily enough I was thinking a couple of days back how hard it was to find anything before ebay and CL showed a world full of gear instead of a couple of small ads in the local paper.

• Moderators
And tomatoes tasted of tomato. However the world is a dynamic place and nothing stays settled too long.

Funnily enough I was thinking a couple of days back how hard it was to find anything before ebay and CL showed a world full of gear instead of a couple of small ads in the local paper.

Funny you should say that, every time we go to Spain, among the first things I do is go to a fruit n veg stall and but half kilo of tomatoes.....just so I can remember what they taste like, ditto Italy, but don't get there often

• Members

Funny you should say that, every time we go to Spain, among the first things I do is go to a fruit n veg stall and but half kilo of tomatoes.....just so I can remember what they taste like, ditto Italy, but don't get there often

Snap.

ours look like tomatoes but theirs taste like tomatoes. We grow our own. Well she does.

• Members

Last time I looked at a sale from GC, nothing was interesting to me. Even the 15% off didn't thrill me, but I was going to go anyway..... then I read the fine print, and anything I might have been interested, was listed as "following items NOT on sale". It was everything they sold! Epiphone, Gibson, Charvel, fender etc etc. So, screw the GC sales events.

• Members

I have no idea how the whole GC thing will play out. For those of you playing at home, there has been a huge layoff at corporate, which included a bunch of the admins here. Though I would be sorta sad to see this place go dark, I would find some poetic justice in GC's ultimate failure after they put so many other local shops out of business.

That's what I miss. Taking a Saturday with friends and cruising around the state (CT's small and condensed) to all these cool music stores with varied inventories, and eccentric owners. Hell, you could easily hit three different Daddy's Junky Music locations and find some gem. I think EBay was more responsible for their demise. Still. Fuk GC.

• Members
Last time I looked at a sale from GC, nothing was interesting to me. Even the 15% off didn't thrill me, but I was going to go anyway..... then I read the fine print, and anything I might have been interested, was listed as "following items NOT on sale". It was everything they sold! Epiphone, Gibson, Charvel, fender etc etc. So, screw the GC sales events.

Ah, weasel wording.

"Save up to 10% or more" is a favorite.

Sounds cool on the surface but means nothing at all when you look at it.

• Members

Besides Romney's beloved Bain Capital and the over leveraging story above, I believe there are other factors involved. For one, just look at this board. HCEG crawls compared to its previous gallop. Trends come and go, and massive consumption of stuff like buying a large variety of guitars is on the ebb. They also obviously invested a lot of capital to wipe out the ma 'n pa operations (much like WalMart) through discount pricing, but combined with weakened demand, which would have been hard to predict, (and assuming the article above is accurate) heavy layer of debt, the days of great deals are not likely to return. I remember buying a Fender FSR Silverburst Telecaster from them a few years back, and couldn't really haggle any discount off of them. They were very "take it or leave it" in their attitude. That was a big turn around from the days when just about anyone on the floor could negotiate you a bit of a deal.

But I don't necessarily think that GC will disappear. The one thing they have accomplished is wiping out most of their brick and mortar competition. If they do survive their melt down, there will be some significant restructuring. But I mostly buy from Sweetwater anyway, even though I do believe playing before buying is the wise approach. But my days of taking field trips to browse guitar shops ended several years ago. Plus I've got all the wood I need, and most folks don't have the cash to blow like they did pre-2008.

But I think the clever ones are the manufacturers. They keep adding little features, innovations, and values that make me say,

[video=youtube;UPw-3e_pzqU]

Archived