FRIDAY! INFLUENCES THREAD! 02-13-15

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Hi. I miss being around here a much as I used to be able. Work, family, things, work. It's all taken my time lately. Did I mention work? Wish I could hang more.

GET YER BUM IN HERE N' POST, VARMITS!

Rhiannon Giddens. You may know her from the folk/blues/country of Carolina Chocolate Drops. Or maybe you saw the recent documentary of the new Dylan Basement Tapes with Elvis C and crew working a box of Bob's lyrics. Or maybe the Inside Llewyn Davis concert. You could feel T Bone Burnett's focus shift to... her. And she's got her first solo album out and it is indeed produced by the fabulous T Bone.

But, Giddenss herself? Listen to what she does with the awesome Tomorrow is My Turn made popular by Nina Simone. THIS... is music. This...

[video=youtube;xhUP9RyxLKg]

• Moderators

Bang Bang

My baby shot me down. Quentin Tarantino has a way of grabbing a very cool piece of music, something that has a kitsch quality perhaps, and giving it a new context. But it doesn't mean the tune wasn't already cool before he crowned it "cool". It was then too. He's just got good taste.

So, Bang Bang.It's an awesome tune. It's a SONNY BONO song. Actually, I'm a fan of Sonny Bono's writing. The Beat Goes On. A Cowboy'sWork is Never Done. He had a way with disposable pop. A pretty cool subtle touch of irony. So yeah, it's a Cher song. But that Nancy Sinatra version with solo electric tremolo guitar?

FRINKING BRILLIANT!

[video=youtube;T5Xl0Qry-hA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Xl0Qry-hA

• Moderators
Bang Bang

My baby shot me down. Quentin Tarantino has a way of grabbing a very cool piece of music, something that has a kitsch quality perhaps, and giving it a new context. But it doesn't mean the tune wasn't already cool before he crowned it "cool". It was then too. He's just got good taste.

So, Bang Bang.It's an awesome tune. It's a SONNY BONO song. Actually, I'm a fan of Sonny Bono's writing. The Beat Goes On. A Cowboy'sWork is Never Done. He had a way with disposable pop. A pretty cool subtle touch of irony. So yeah, it's a Cher song. But that Nancy Sinatra version with solo electric tremolo guitar?

FRINKING BRILLIANT!

[video=youtube;T5Xl0Qry-hA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Xl0Qry-hA

A great tune stands up well to being covered. The Raconteurs nail Bang Bang. HEY! I said "nail bang bang!" Cool.

[video=youtube;xhGnuHuD5Fc]

Archived