Using Backing Tracks

Opus Antics

• Members

I'm using some tracks again. I joined a well established band, replacing the keyboardist who no longer had free weekends, last October. This is an A team 5 piece band which uses a sound company at every gig, I make at least twice what I've ever made in any other band. The reason they are so popular is because we have a very good female lead singer and do mostly current popular hit music along with some really dance-able disco/rap type medleys. A far cry from the typical classic rock bands I've normally been associated with.

Anyway, I spent a LOT of time learning parts as well as finding/editing sounds, creating splits, etc.. to pull all this stuff off. I've long relied on Digital Performer for recording as well as live set ups. It would be a real pain to try and get my patches from song to song without it as I'm using 3 keyboards plus a rackmount Roland Fantom synth. So I have a rack case along side me with assorted gear, key pieces being a MOTU 828mk3 audio interface and a MOTU Midi Timepiece AV both of which plug into a MacBook Pro.

I've been trying to urge the band towards using some backing midi tracks but they've been reluctant, especially the bass player for whatever reason but finally we've started with the new tune Uptown Funk.

It's pretty easy for the click since we're already using in ear monitors and everyone can actually adjust their own mix remotely on iPads. I only have tracks going during the time I'm doing the horn part where I've added the synth line and the doh bass part. If anything goes wrong I have a footswitch which will shut the tracks down and we can finish the song without those parts. So far I haven't had to do that!

Archived