where do I get short run professional CD's duplicated?

samal50

• Members

I got a brochure from Disc Makers and a short run digipak for 100 pieces runs for $300. I was hoping that price included the whole CD design and artwork but no. They sell graphic design that start at $400. Anyone know of a better offer? I may not even need 100 disc, maybe 20. It's just to submit to labels. Here's what I want; short run professional CDs (digipak or jewel case) which includes the whole artwork and design all in one price. It won't be released commercially just for label submission to look professional. I'm sure a commercial album cover is easy to make with all the photoshop tools people own. I could even come up with my own with the tools I have. Originality is not necessary, just something that goes with the CD, to put a face cover on the demo so to speak. Maybe the artist name, short bio, genre, picture, song titles and contact info. would be OK to put in front of the digipak? Makes it all convenient all in one? Maybe I'll do that. Would the manufacturers happen to have a template online to work all this together to submit for replication?

• Moderators

Before you plunk down your money, be aware that 99% of 'unsolicited submissions' get tossed in the recycling bin, unseen, unheard and unacknowledged. Labels pretty much will find you when you are selling tens of thousands of downloads, or tens of thousands of CDs via CD baby et al. Why? Because they are not in the business of nurturing artists, they are in the business of making money.

• Members

That's not true. All labels that rejected me via e-mail and snail mail in the past always have the same old letter of "you have some great ideas but it is not what we're looking for at this time" rejection letters, which means the A&R listened to it. Out of the close to 100 labels I submitted to about less than a dozen replied so that means they listened to it.

The ones that get founded online doing well are those that become a gimmick. The ones that sell tens of thousands online don't need a label. Remember some artists come out of nowhere because they were already in talks with the labels and managers 2 years prior to the release without any type of web presence. It's who you know.

A pretty big independent label I e-mailed about why some labels mention no unsolicited materials accepted told me how else are they going to find artists and new releases if no one sends them material? TAXI? Some labels do accept, some don't. The majors very rarely. You pretty much have to go through a manager or an agent that has relationship with the majors. Either that or contact the managers or agents that have close associations with the labels, one way of finding out who they are is by looking up the bands signed to the label and the band CD inserts or websites would have the management info.

Generally a release can take up to 2 years before it sees the light of day. Depends on the politics or the size of the company. If there's major controversy with the band like Great White, a "best of" comes out next day. LOL. Nirvana Nevermind was a hit so I think Insecticide compilation came out sooner.

• Moderators
That's not true. All labels that rejected me via e-mail and snail mail in the past always have the same old letter of "you have some great ideas but it is not what we're looking for at this time" rejection letters, which means the A&R listened to it.

No, it means they dumped it. That is a form letter, period. They send that out based on your return address. Had they listened to it they would have given you specifics regarding which songs they thought had potential. But they didn't, because they don't do that on unsolicited material. Why? Because they are tired of people suing them when a song they do release comes out that is remotely similar to your unsolicited material.

Out of the close to 100 labels I submitted to about less than a dozen replied so that means they listened to it.

So you submitted to 100 labels and what happened? Take a wild guess...remember where I said 99%? That should have been 99.99%

The ones that get founded online doing well are those that become a gimmick. The ones that sell tens of thousands online don't need a label. Correct, but those are the ones a label wants to sign, because they see $.

Remember some artists come out of nowhere because they were already in talks with the labels and managers 2 years prior to the release without any type of web presence. True, so, who is promoting you directly to their connections at a label?

It's who you know. Not always, sometimes it is simply a matter of luck! But, truth be told, most labels are not interested in the 'next big thing', they are interested in what is selling NOW.

A pretty big independent label I e-mailed about why some labels mention no unsolicited materials accepted told me how else are they going to find artists and new releases if no one sends them material? TAXI? Some labels do accept, some don't. The majors very rarely. You pretty much have to go through a manager or an agent that has relationship with the majors. Either that or contact the managers or agents that have close associations with the labels, one way of finding out who they are is by looking up the bands signed to the label and the band CD inserts or websites would have the management info.

Yes, some indie labels will accept submissions without prior consent, but I doubt there are 20 of them worth submitting to, that can actually release and distribute material in a profitable manner. What will you get from a contract with most small independent labels? Front money? Not enough to live on, maybe enough to record. What kind of deal will they offer you? Usually one that will not leave you anything but debt when the contract is up, plus, split royalties, and some even want to own the SR copyright.

Generally a release can take up to 2 years before it sees the light of day.

I don't mean to urinate in your breakfast cereal, but the harsh reality is if you are going to spend money on a CD, sell them, don't send them out to be recycled. Make contact with the indie labels first, ask if they are open to listening to your material. Often, some indies will say yes, give us a link to some on-line material. If they see merit in it, they will contact you.

Labels may not be the best way to go. As a songwriter, you are likely better off selling your songs first [and that is a whole different challenge], and generating label interest that way. As a band, self-recording, self-publishing and self-releasing is a good way to test the waters to see if your project has merit.

• Members

Nobody buys CDs from anyone no one has heard of. I just bought a used CD from an EDM artist this week because I heard about him with Selena Gomez. Bought it without hearing a song of Zedd. Even I had never heard of him til this past month or so. That CD came out in 2012. Just saying I don't buy much newer music. I think Miley Cyrus was asked by his advisors to do something stupid so people would talk about her and now she is viewed a "star". Otherwise she doesn't have a breakthrough song, just filler songs that gets you through 3-4 minutes at a time. Seems as if the music couldn't sell itself but the controversy has a chance in selling the artist. I think Zedd and Selena Gomez may have ties with each other's managers so they were asked to be seen together so people would know who Zedd is IMO. There's some great songs in the CD but too long to be considered a pop hit. Some obvious fillers as with any commercially released albums.

but what is selling NOW, someone had to push the next big thing prior to it selling NOW, right?

• Members

from what I understand the story behind "no unsolicited material accepted" was due to the label being too big to accept demos from anyone so one must either go to a lawyer, a manager, or anyone with connection to the record company, which is why some bands get signed through word of mouth from bands/artists already signed to the label (ex: Sonic Youth was signed to Geffen then through association with the band and the band's manager, Nirvana got signed as well).

Also, most labels already have their release dates set years ahead with minimum 2 years set, so anyone sending them material are usually overlooked, which is why for courtesy reason (I think) labels had to make a note that no "unsolicited material".

Another thing most of the lawsuits in music you hear about are not average Joe vs. music company, it's usually people that have or had working relationships with the party involved in the past or present. There was some disagreement at some point. Ex: Lady Gaga and ex-manager, and countless of bands and artists as well who either had former members, affiliates, and so on who felt left out or felt they deserved more than what they think is owed to them. It is very rare or even non-existent that some Joe wanted to sue Michael Jackson for stealing his "song". There is such a thing as copyrights. One must have proof on who made the song first, etc. Suing somebody in hopes of getting lucky usually never works because you need proof, lawyer fees are expensive and it's time consuming plus getting counter-sued for being a lying thief is not a good idea. I've never heard of some Joe suing any major stars to successful results. It's usually between people that had working relationships at some point and there was a falling out and so on.

Also, lots of pop songs follow a familiar pattern so lawsuits would be hard unless IT IS EXACTLY THE SAME SONG with a little adjustments.

So, where do I get short run professional CDs duplicated?

• Moderators
  • 6 months later...
  • Members

http://mcreplication.com/

This place has the best rate I know of. The shortest run you will find anywhere is 100.

However it seems this thread has become about unsolicited submissions to labels. And not to jump on the bandwagon but I have to agree. If you're going to get CDs made do it so that you have a physical copy of your work that you can sell (this is of course assuming that the recordings have been professionally made).

Archived