Music quality is declining.

1001gear

• Members

Music is not declining. It's just the music industry micro managing these new bands to the point that these young folks don't have the same musical freedoms , the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, the Beach Boys, Jimi Hendrix, Zep, Cream, Alice Cooper, Metallica, Pantera, Yes, E.L.P. or Dire Straits had.

Plus, they did cut funding for music programs in the U.S. since the early 1980's and Mtv hijacked the music industry in 1993 .... Music isn't the Free Form it once was ..... it's now a trendy fashion statement !!!!

• Members

You never get over Beethoven. It's the new ones being preempted bothers me. I imagine the new Bachs are busy reformatting todays' riffs and licks into legitimate compositions but I don't know 'em, nor do I have the connectivity to have even heard of them. But it's not even about cutting edge advances, "good music" is defacto, plain not allowed. What the labels are making is medicine for the work force. See 'drift net' .

• Members
You never get over Beethoven. It's the new ones being preempted bothers me. I imagine the new Bachs are busy reformatting todays' riffs and licks into legitimate compositions but I don't know 'em' date=' nor do I have the connectivity to have even heard of them. But it's not even about cutting edge advances, "good music" is defacto, plain not allowed. What the labels are making is medicine for the work force. See 'drift net' .[/quote']

I didn't mean I've gotten over Beethoven.

That I've gotten over being worried about the decline in the quality of music. It's all been downhill since the Ninth.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

It's all been downhill since the Ninth.

I don't think such a claim is on particularly thin ice. Still, I don't think things went exactly downhill when Brahms, Wagner, Strauss, Mahler, or Stravinsky happened. Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev and Shostakovich either. And Beethoven is a bit stodgy, overwrought, for those that champion Mozart. It's subjective of course, though Beethoven most likely wins the consensus.

Bach gives me the most goose bumps.

I also don't think 'serious' music should be juxtaposed with popular music. At all.

• Members

I just earned a spot at a local music store , teaching guitar : Blues , 80's Shred , Metal and other forms of guitar.

While I was waiting at the interview, I was noodling with my guitar and some kids ( age range 15 to 19) came over wanting to learn the techniques I was noodling with : 8 fingered tapping, arpeggios, tapped arpeggios, speed picking, legato ( Holdsworth style) and Neo-Classical / Metal style of guitar playing ..... I don't think music is in decline, it just comes down to the industry signing disposable artists.

• Members

If music is holding it's own, or is getting somehow better, I probably wouldn't know. For the last 15 years, I seem find my time better served in the past, as far as listening goes, there's so much there, and I know where to find it. This horse doesn't mind drinkin, but it's not so thirsty as to dig for it. Pop that I hear in passing, that's somewhat current, almost never bears paying attention to, and is more often an exercise in tolerance.

To answer the OP, I keep at it, writing and recording anyway, mostly because I enjoy putting music together, and after a neck injury, (career stopper) that's what I have left. I've come too far to give up. I was paying attention, lo those many years as a player, and sometimes I can even make my sequencers produce a goose bump or two. And I can still do what I do best enough to lay it down.

smiley-eatdrink055.gif

Archived