Mic Grill foam insert

• Members

Anyone know where I can purchase new foam inserts for:

- Shure Beta 87

- Ev ND/767a

The insert for the Beta87 is quite old and is rapidly crumbling apart. I know I can go to the craft store and buy a sheet of thin black foam for a buck but I'd prefer to buy a a stash for future cleanings. I did some google searches and only found new grills. I know audiopile sells 58 ball grills for cheap but not the main two mics I need above.

• Members

I know I can go to the craft store and buy a sheet of thin black foam

That's what I did when I replaced disintegrating foam in a handful of my mics. I took samples of the windscreen foam with me to the craft store and was seemingly successful in matching up same-same replacement foam. A few of the windscreens grills were a bit of a trick to replace the foam in because the replacement foam had to be cut along 4 sides and carefully glued together to fit same-same in the grill.

• Members

That's what I did when I replaced disintegrating foam in a handful of my mics. I took samples of the windscreen foam with me to the craft store and was seemingly successful in matching up same-same replacement foam. A few of the windscreens grills were a bit of a trick to replace the foam in because the replacement foam had to be cut along 4 sides and carefully glued together to fit same-same in the grill.

That's my "plan b". I'm hoping someone can identify a source.

• Members

I bought
from Full Compass; they work well in 58s, and beta 58s, and look like they will work in almost any similar mic, including the 767.

They may work fine for the 767..thanks. The beta87 has a flat nose so these may be a tough fit but I'm encouraged to see a Shure part number for the 58...maybe I can source something similar for the 87.

• Members

You can get "foam" wind screen covers on ebay for around $ 1.00 a piece. Serves the same purpose I think. (Shrugs) That is what I do. My beta 87a was bought on E-Bay - and showed up with the "grill cover" showing actual rust - so I just cover it up. (The sound still is great.) I cover ALL my mics with foam wind screens all the time - (hey - keep your spit out of MY mic!!!). I have a bunch - and if someone "new" is going to use one - "they" get a "clean" wind screen (just wash em with a mild - warm soap and water wash - then rinse them - then set out to dry.

Archived