Simple question about gates..

• Members

I want to get gate setup for my drummer to help with the sound and bleed through on his mics. What would be your recommend I use?? His setup consists of snare, two toms, floor tom, bass. A few cymbals, but those shouldnt pose a threat.

• Members

I want to get gate setup for my drummer to help with the sound and bleed through on his mics. What would be your recommend I use?? His setup consists of snare, two toms, floor tom, bass. A few cymbals, but those shouldnt pose a threat.

You mean for the drum mics or his vocal mic? If the individual mics, you will have to set the gates up differently...make sure your preamps are as hot as possible without clipping, and set the gates up that it will only hit when you hit the drum. It's going to have to be set back up in almost every venue, but it would give you a good idea. Make sure the gate doesn't close too quickly, or you will lose the natural sound of the drums. The cymbals can pose a threat, but some gates have a key filter, if you know how to set it up.

• Members

You mean for the drum mics or his vocal mic? If the individual mics, you will have to set the gates up differently...make sure your preamps are as hot as possible without clipping, and set the gates up that it will only hit when you hit the drum. It's going to have to be set back up in almost every venue, but it would give you a good idea. Make sure the gate doesn't close too quickly, or you will lose the natural sound of the drums. The cymbals can pose a threat, but some gates have a key filter, if you know how to set it up.

Gotcha ya on the setting up of the gain structure. And I am familiar with guitar gates, so the drums shouldnt be to hard as long as I do it. Do you have a brand suggestion?

• Members

I would look at something like the DBX 1074 for this purpose.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/8762/Pro_Audio_Recording/Signal_Processors/DBX/1074_-_Quad_Noise_Gate_-_XLR_In_Out.htm

But first of all, spacifically what problems are you hoping to solve by using gates? Typically drum gates are used to tame excess ringing, prevent feedback, minimize bleed or to create an effect. If none of these things are causing you major problems, the addition of gates may not give you a huge improvement in sound quality.

• Members

I would look at something like the DBX 1074 for this purpose.

But first of all, spacifically what problems are you hoping to solve by using gates? Typically drum gates are used to tame excess ringing, prevent feedback, minimize bleed or to create an effect. If none of these things are causing you major problems, the addition of gates may not give you a huge improvement in sound quality.

Decreasing feedback and ringing out is our main concern with what I want. He is a heavy handed hitter and there are several times where some ringing is a problem and it causes feedback.

• Members

If he's heavy handed you probably only need to worry about the toms and the kick. I've never really bothered with one on a snare because the trim is almost always low enough to not pick up a whole lot of other stuff. If a ring becomes a problem on the snare its usually because the drummer doesn't have tuned right. The same could also be said for the toms though. So is the ringing the drums themselves or is it actual feedback? It might be worth it to try some gels on the drums and see if they make a difference before spending a good chunk of cash.

• Members

Drawmer makes the only gates that work reliably. I have DS201 and DS404 in my arsenal.

Keep in mind that if the drummer changes a head on any drum then you have to re-tune the filters on the gate. Make sure he is aware of that so he will let you know.

Archived