Nord Stage vs Nord Electro

shuffletuffle

• Members

I have been longing for a Nord Stage for a while now. I was hoping for a Nord Stage 3 to be released at NAMM 2015, but Nord only released their new Nord Electro 5.

Then I met an old friend who plays the piano. He told me that it wasn't the Stage I wanted. I should rather buy the Nord Electro. He was saying that the Electro had the same piano samples, I usually only need an amazing piano sound and an amazing rhodes sound, and that the Nord Electro is much lighter to carry around.

What do you guys think?

What I really need is an relatively easy-to-use keyboard that gives me an amazing piano sound, and an amazing rhodes sound. But I love to be able to modify the sounds to my liking, and the possibility to use layers. The appeal of the Nord Stage is the synth part.

Unfortunately I very rarely use organ sounds.

• Members

I'd say neither. If you can get by without organ sounds, the Nord Piano 2 is probably the board for you. The 73 key version has the same action as the weighted versions of the Electro, and has the same light travel weight. The 88 key version has what most people consider to be a much better action, but it weighs more, closer to what the Stage 2 weighs.

I understand you like to be able to modify sounds, but what exactly would you be looking for out of the Nord Stage synth functions? They cannot be used to modify the piano/EP sounds. There are numerous ways you can modify those sounds in the other boards as well, even though they don't have synth sections (i.e. through effects, EQ).

• Members

Ok. I see.

But the price difference between the Nord Piano 2 HP and the Nord Electro 5 HP seems small. Is the only difference that the Nord Electro has an organ section?

And would it be right to say that the Electro is the same as the Stage only without the synth section?

Thank you for your reply btw. :)

• Members
But the price difference between the Nord Piano 2 HP and the Nord Electro 5 HP seems small. Is the only difference that the Nord Electro has an organ section?

Price difference is pretty big.. the Electro 5HP will be $3499, and the NP 2HP price has come down to $2499. The biggest differences are that the Electro has the organ and also has double the piano and sample library memory (so you can store a greater number of different sounds in it at once), though there are some other differences as well.

would it be right to say that the Electro is the same as the Stage only without the synth section?

No, the Stage has numerous other advantages besides the synth.

The NS2 lets you split 3 ways instead of just 2 (and on a 2 way split, you can use any two sounds, you don't have the restriction that one must be piano or organ, so you can also do things like get strings and brass at the same time, or LH bass and something other than a piano or organ); it has more sample library memory; it has pitch bend, mod wheel, and aftertouch; better MIDI functionality (for example, presets can incorporate external sounds as parts of their splits/layers); and most people would say that the 76/88 weighted actions in the NS2 are better than the weighted action in the Electro HP.

Though the E5 will have some advantages over the NS2 as well. Drawbars, low E on the 73-key version, better display functions, more piano memory, upgraded leslie sim, pipe organ function.

Those aren't necessarily complete lists, but those are the key differences I'm aware of.

• Members

Thank you, AnotherScott.

The weight difference is also a factor right? The E5 will be significally lighter?

And it was hard to interpret from your comment what you recommend. :)

It doesn't have to be a Nord, but I've heard that Nord is the best in the business. But that might be wrong. What other options should I consider?

• Members
=The weight difference is also a factor right?

Keeping in mind that we're only talking about the models with weighted actions: The Nord Piano 2HP and the Electro HP models weigh about the same. The Nord Stage 2 76/88 and the Nord Piano 2 88 weigh more, but most people prefer their feel. Whether the improved feel is worth the trade-off in portability is an individual decision.

And it was hard to interpret from your comment what you recommend. :)

Because I don't. ;-) They're all good, it depends what you need. I can describe the differences, but I can't tell you which features you're going to find more important.

It doesn't have to be a Nord' date=' but I've heard that Nord is the best in the business. But that might be wrong. What other options should I consider?[/quote']

Based on the things you said you're looking for, I think these are the models you'd find most interesting from the various brands: Kawai: MP7

Yamaha: CP4

Roland RD800:

Kurzweil: Artis (or Forte)

Casio: PX-5S

Korg: SV1

Each has its own strengths and trade-offs. Hopefully you can get to a store and wrap your fingers and ears around them and see what clicks for you.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Hello everyone,

I would like to buy a nord (electro 5 or stage 2 ex) and I'm interested in 2 things:

1. As I heard, nord uses fatar keybeds... Can anyone tell me the exact model (tp/9, tp/8, tp/100, tp/40l-m-h-gh) involved in each keyboard? I don't have a nord dealer near me so I can feel them, but I'm pretty familiar with kurzweil products...

2. What are the main differences between an "electro 5d 73" and a "stage 2 ex compact" for exemple, assuming that they share the same keybed/size/weight...? What am I missing by choosing one of them?

Please emphasize on preset sounds (quality, variety), piano (would be identical?), sample loading capability/availability etc.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I believe all the SW action Nords use the Fatar TP8-O though Nord seems to spring them more heavily, compared to what I believe is the same action on Hammond SK1/2, Numa Organ, and others. The models designated HP use the Fatar TP100. The models designated HA use some version of the TP40, though not the TP40L that Kurz uses in their better 88s.

As for the E5 vs. the Stage, see post #4 above. (Though I think the new EX models may have the improved Leslie of the E5.)

Archived