Friday Influences Thread - 01-30-15

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Come one, come all

Let's all avoid the mall

Come on in and share what you dig.

After watching Mary J. Blige on Jimmy Fallon my wife and kid and I all talked about it. "I liked it at first but...". I mean yeah, that groove, that attitude, that voice, that.. what? No song? Then a movie trailer comes on at the commercial break and I couldn't tell you what the movie was because I was distracted by... I could hear faint whispers of... Marvin Gaye's Trouble Man behind the car crash trailer soundtrack. It seems a lot of people don't know this song. I find that unimaginable but... at least you get to hear it right here and now!

If you don't know this song, there is nothing in the world like it. It is a swirl of mysterious soul stew that just puts you under the spell of Marvin and his magic. He wasn't just a voice but a musician of the highest order. A musician with something very special in the writing, arranging, and imagination department.

[video=youtube;Usl-h5f-8W0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usl-h5f-8W0

• Members
Come one, come all

Let's all avoid the mall

Come on in and share what you dig.

After watching Mary J. Blige on Jimmy Fallon my wife and kid and I all talked about it. "I liked it at first but...". I mean yeah, that groove, that attitude, that voice, that.. what? No song? Then a movie trailer comes on at the commercial break and I couldn't tell you what the movie was because I was distracted by... I could hear faint whispers of... Marvin Gaye's Trouble Man behind the car crash trailer soundtrack. It seems a lot of people don't know this song. I find that unimaginable but... at least you get to hear it right here and now!

If you don't know this song, there is nothing in the world like it. It is a swirl of mysterious soul stew that just puts you under the spell of Marvin and his magic. He wasn't just a voice but a musician of the highest order. A musician with something very special in the writing, arranging, and imagination department.

[video=youtube;Usl-h5f-8W0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usl-h5f-8W0

Marvin Gaye was a transcendent, multi-dimensional talent.

But I do appreciate Mary J. Blige for credibly carrying the genre forward into the present day.

• Moderators

Marvin Gaye was a transcendent, multi-dimensional talent.

But I do appreciate Mary J. Blige for credibly carrying the genre forward into the present day.

I love her music! I was trying to convert the crew. :-) her band was badass! And she sings her badass butt off!

• Members

I think Sugah Daddy is the new D'Angelo single. The drum sounds on that track are a kick drum and tapping on legs and stuff.

With Pino Palladion on bass, drums shared between Questlove and James Gadson, (who if you don't know is a legend. He played on Still Bill by Bill Withers and on Marvin Gaye's "I Want You." He's played on 3 Beck records, including Sea Change, which would make my top 5 desert island list) it would be hard to go wrong.

• Members

We had 45s of these when I was but a wee tad, wore them out.

Shotgun - Jr. Walker and the All-Stars

[video=youtube_share;FI7CtxlisCk]

Heatwave - Martha and the Vandellas (I love Linda Rondstadt, but infinitely prefer this version)

[video=youtube_share;5k0GDQrK2jo]

Be My Baby - The Ronettes (isn't this the song Brian Wilson played every day as soon as he got up every day or something?)

[video=youtube_share;jrVbawRPO7I]

634-5789 - Wilson Pickett

[video=youtube_share;3KnhJSne-3Y]

and a whole lot more in the stack with the Beatles, Byrds, Stones, Four Seasons, Beach Boys, The Ventures, Booker T, The Dixie Cups, Pat Boone, Johnny Cash, Skeeter Davis, even The Singing Nun, etc. Odd to think how eclectic pop/rock radio was back in those ancient days.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Oh man... I'm so... TORN. I always thought this was just a horrendous song written by Kiss in the non-makeup years. Turns out it's a cover... and while I still think the lyrics are terrible, the music and instrumentation in this version are pretty cool. Something about this being early 70s prog-rock makes it slightly ok. Help!

I.don't.know.what.to.do.

[video=youtube;QsG5V-o6uxY]

• Members
Oh man... I'm so... TORN. I always thought this was just a horrendous song written by Kiss in the non-makeup years. Turns out it's a cover... and while I still think the lyrics are terrible, the music and instrumentation in this version are pretty cool. Something about this being early 70s prog-rock makes it slightly ok. Help!

I.don't.know.what.to.do.

[video=youtube;QsG5V-o6uxY]

Hmmm....sounds like they'd been listening to That's The Way God Planned It before they wrote this one, no?

[video=youtube_share;kFTgrFSKbkk]

nat whilk ii

Archived