Acoustic Guitar Days Numbered?

Idunno

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not sure about that - but i feel their are way to many guitars out their -

I you went back 30-40 years ago - most guitarists owned a couple of guitars -

whats the average now , guessing maybe 10 or more - when we realize we dont need that many guitars

their will be a flood of used guitars on the market ,

• Members

AGF (Acoustic Guitar Forum) Show and Tell 1st page 15 minutes ago.

35 Separate threads of Covers and Originals

4,366 Views total all threads

301 People who cared enough to listen and leave comments

Results -

301/4366 = 0.06689 people who cared enough to comment, out of 4366 who listened.

What would the numbers be if that page was sitting on Reverbnation, or other such hosting site?

The thrill is gah-ah-on...the thrill is gah-ah-onnnnaway.

These forums, though, can't be indicative of the reception acoustic music is getting out there. I realize that. Most acoustic guitarists are more enamored (love them) for what they are and are otherwise limited to vicariously embracing what they do. Of the 4,366 views above, 4,005 couldn't be bothered to leave a comment on any of the 35 song threads. Pathetic showing of solidarity.

• Members

The only constant is the change.

Obviously, we are geezers. We once have been the forefront of the popular music of fhe folks out there, but that is, erm, a long, long time ago and we can still remember how that music used to ... i digress.

Fact of the matter is, "learning", putting effort into something has become increasingly unpopular nowadays, I know, this is, again, possibly an angry old white man speaking, but then ... that was what my parents and my grandparents generation said about my generation and I have to admit, in retrospective, that they were true. Our generation - yeah, that's us, geezers! - were not up to our forefathers and what follows in our footsteps is inferior to us, too. In most cases. There are some exceptions to the rules. But in general ...

This is our fault. This is the fault of our generation giving into the Neocon model of measuring everything against the commercial "value". I can see this with my partner's son. He is doing in his leaving cert what I did in junior cert.

O tempora, o mores....

• Members

Call me Gronk and, no, serious lies somewhere off this planet. Petty and selfish dwells and feeds upon it. It's in most of the music below the tropopause. Please keep up.

Change is a nutty phenomena. It isn't natural. That's for sure. And, it isn't predictable because it isn't natural. There's no pattern or constant or other familiar feature other than itself as a heralding word for pending events unknown.

The acoustic guitar popularity could just as well have been the electric guitar, given that it was songs that captivated audiences. No one could have predicted an era of unplugged popularity. Considering electric guitars were the new music's tools, it may very well be that Bob Dylan was the catalyst for the unplugged story-teller vagrant troubadours and minstrels who had too long been absent. I don't know. I do know they were welcomed by a very large audience to such extent that they left a very big void when music pimped out (disco) and then stumbled into the bowery (punk, metal, etc). Hedonism always finds a way to feck things up.

• Members

Change isn't natural? It is the only constant in the universe.

Maybe I look in the wrong places on Youtube, I dunno. Seems almost everyone that is recommended to me is playing a cover of this song or that. The only way I know of Ed Sheeran is because he did the closing song for Desolation of Smaug. I think songwriting and musicianship have deteriorated in all of the major genres, for all kinds of reasons. I don't see any new guitar-slingers out there either, following in the footsteps of Hendrix or SRV, though you can find thousands of shredders on Youtube who mistake dexterity for musicality.

Guitar makers are churning out guitars by the 10s of 1000s everyday. Somebody is buying them.

• Members

My 15 year old has taken off with my favorite Gibson. He is a drummer in a working band, but just recently took up acoustic and is doing quite well after some open mikes and church reviews.

As long as there are girls, they'll be smart dudes charming their panties off with a hollow box of mahogany. Thats what convinced my kid to put his drumsticks away for a while.

• Members

My guess is that the Hay day is already over -when we go crazy and buy guitars , pretty much for the reason " because we can"

using the excuse that we need different instruments to get different sounds . ( which includes myself ) means we've carried this thing to far.

The days of being a guitar player and having one guitar -means different things to different people -but reality -the market will be flooded

when us baby boomers die off -which will kill today's over made production Factories -who i believe are the cause of this GAS.

• Members

I spent a year on my back when I was a teenager due to motorcycle meets car...car wins scenario. I became a closet Soap fan. All My Children was my favorite, LOL! In addition to other trauma, I had some serious nerve damage in my left arm and hand. Sat around for hours playing my mom's guitar. Seemed like good therapy to me. My mom loved the soaps too.

• Members

I spent a year on my back when I was a teenager due to motorcycle meets car...car wins scenario. I became a closet Soap fan. All My Children was my favorite, LOL! In addition to other trauma, I had some serious nerve damage in my left arm and hand. Sat around for hours playing my mom's guitar. Seemed like good therapy to me. My mom loved the soaps too.

• Members

• Members

When I was young and restless, living in Dallas, I hung out with a member of a family Dynasty. Her Dad was a doc who worked at the General Hospital. Her mom was an astronomer who watched stars go by as the world turns. Her brother was a preacher, following his guiding light, while her older sister wandered the world in a perpetual search for tomorrow. Those were some fun days of our lives, though and we'd often go to a beach at the lake with our guitars and light a campfire as the edge of night approached.

Sorry...just couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

• Members
There will still be acoustic guitar sounds ringing through our house until I can't physically play the thing. I actually think the current younger generation will create a resurgence once they hit their 20s.

Same here and maybe you're right about the younger set. There's a 21 y/o I work with who prefers 70's acoustic music. He calls today's music disposable simply because it's forgettable.

Here's one for yuzz -

The acoustic music I do hear isn't creating sounds I'm interested in following. I will listen and judge but Harrison, Simon, Kottke, Taylor, Young, Stills, Lightfoot, Stevens, and others of the period cast some very long shadows. I haven't heard anyone of the current prodigy able to get out of them.

Mind you, I'm up to my ears with the same old alternate tuned instrumentals of drone notes holding together dry dynamics and atmosheric trills and spills of coloring notes and pitty-pat, tappity-taps. I'm talking songs here with lyrics that you don't mind memorizing because they're worthy of it.

Dylan stole the lyrics of three following generations, the bastard.

Archived