need to run two keyboards into same channels in mixer

• Members

We run two keys into the same channels on the mixer.

5 lines from each keyboard.

Line 1 from each key going into channel 1 etc

All of them the same and neither keyboard run at the same time.

Right now we are using individual cords and adaptors on the mixer

We want to just use a snake now but I found this

http://m.seismicaudiospeakers.com/product/_/SAST-8-16-15

Would that work?

Run the larger end to the keyboards and the shorter end to the board.

Do you know where I can find snakes (like that or otherwise) with a right angle on at least one side?

Thank you

• Members

i'm so very confused as to whay your trying to do, most keyboards have a stereo out unless your using the assignable outputs to individually mix tracks of a sequenced part? i've done two keyboards into one di and its worked but i dont think it was the best idea and i probably wont be doing that again.

• Members

we are running sequenced songs

that require 5 outs from each keyboard.

It takes a while to load the next song once one is done so we have two keyboards (also serves as a backup)

so when one song is being played the next song is dialed up on the second keyboard.

so we are running 10 outs (5 from each key) to 5 inputs on the board (there is another key line we use as well but its a single line, and no sequencing on it).

Here is the link I meant

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/8-Channel-XLR-to-TRS-15-Feet-p/sast-8-16-15.htm

• Members

No, an insert snake wouldn't really be of benefit in your situation. So from what I understand, you have technically 5 outputs, or as you say "lines" from each keyboard, and you need to have both keyboards hooked into the PA, but only one in use at a time? Why not use a smaller mixer to submix the keys into the board? Theoretically, you could use a 12-channel mixer, put one keyboard on the first 5 channels, pan them full L, take the second keyboard, put it on the next 5, pan those channels full R, and just use two channels into the main PA? At least that's how I see it, if I understand it correctly...

• Members

the insert snake you posted would not work as the mixer most likely uses ts inputs, so the trs side of the snake, which would be the one going into the mixer to give you two inputs at the other end, would only pass one of the keyboards signals through.

ah, thank you.

So out best bet would to continue using the 2 /14" into 1 1/4" adaptors we have been using?

• Members

No, an insert snake wouldn't really be of benefit in your situation. So from what I understand, you have technically 5 outputs, or as you say "lines" from each keyboard, and you need to have both keyboards hooked into the PA, but only one in use at a time? Why not use a smaller mixer to submix the keys into the board? Theoretically, you could use a 12-channel mixer, put one keyboard on the first 5 channels, pan them full L, take the second keyboard, put it on the next 5, pan those channels full R, and just use two channels into the main PA? At least that's how I see it, if I understand it correctly...

what would be the advantage of this over the adapters we are currently using?

to me its one more piece of equipment we have to bring in, you know?

right now we leave the adaptors in our board and roll the individual cords up in the mixer and sent them to the keys.

We wanted to move to a snake to make it a little nicer and I saw that and wondered if it would work.

We are currently trying to minimize any extra equipment (as long as its not effecting performance) as possible.

• Members

The cables you linked to are insert cables and are not right for you application. What you need are stardard 1/4guitar cables, simple. Really it's best to submix all the keyboards intro a stereo send or mono send. If possible use a mixer with xlr outputs and use xlr cables between the 2 mixers, if not then use trs to trs cables.

• Members

having done the sequenced track approach a lot, i do understand why one would want individual control of each part. you'd lose that by submixing the keys before the pa. the 1/4 adaptors seem to be working and i really cant figure another way to run this. perhaps take your ten 1/4 cables and heat shrienk over them to make your own snake? label all the connectors first.

• Members

My keyboardist uses three separate keyboards, and our rhythm guitarist sometimes brings his big Kurzweil 2600. We have a Mackie 1202 to mix it all, along with his in-ear monitors feed. He uses the headphone output for himself, and the Mains and Aux sends for FOH and for our IEM's.

The dedicated mixer is the way to go. Then you can output from the mixer's mains into a DI box and send it to the FOH.

• Members

Use a proper mixer. Combining with Y adapters loads down the outputs and generally increases distortion by a factor of 10 unless suitable buildout resistors are present (usually not).

Although I completely agree 99 out of 100 times.... He is never using both keyboards at the same time on the same song. Signal is only present on one set of lines at a time.

Is he still combining loads? Will the idle keyboard outputs still need isolation to avoid distortion?

• Members

Although I completely agree 99 out of 100 times.... He is never using both keyboards at the same time on the same song. Signal is only present on one set of lines at a time.

Is he still combining loads? Will the idle keyboard outputs still need isolation to avoid distortion?

Absolutely. It has nothing to do with signal, it has to do with impedance and drive current capabilities. Impedance (output) remains very low regardless of signal present.

• 7 years later...
  • Members
On 8/15/2012 at 9:24 AM, Bryan316 said:

My keyboardist uses three separate keyboards, and our rhythm guitarist sometimes brings his big Kurzweil 2600. We have a Mackie 1202 to mix it all, along with his in-ear monitors feed. He uses the headphone output for himself, and the Mains and Aux sends for FOH and for our IEM's.

The dedicated mixer is the way to go. Then you can output from the mixer's mains into a DI box and send it to the FOH.

Man, thanks bro. Just the answer I was searching for exactly. We only have one channel left so I need to combine two synths into that one channel and monitor it on the phone jack. Fantastic. 

Archived