Limelight/SongClearance.com shutting down. Alternatives?

Iamthesky

• Members

Right on cue, just as I go to get licensing sorted out for the (few) covers we do, it turns out that Limelight is shutting down. What's the alternative?

By alternative, I mean is there something that makes it easier than HFA, and will seek out and handle owners who are not covered by HFA. We have an obscure cover or two that HFA has apparently never even heard of. I've done the "not covered by HFA" thing before in my last band, and it's a total pain I don't want to repeat (6 months trying to get a simple mechanical license for a song for a CD).

So, any ideas where to go for this? Anyone else doing a similar thing to Limelight?

• Members
Right on cue, just as I go to get licensing sorted out for the (few) covers we do, it turns out that Limelight is shutting down. What's the alternative?

By alternative, I mean is there something that makes it easier than HFA, and will seek out and handle owners who are not covered by HFA. We have an obscure cover or two that HFA has apparently never even heard of. I've done the "not covered by HFA" thing before in my last band, and it's a total pain I don't want to repeat (6 months trying to get a simple mechanical license for a song for a CD).

So, any ideas where to go for this? Anyone else doing a similar thing to Limelight?

Just to clarify, are you looking to get the licenses because you're going to record them and sell them on a CD?

Because if you're doing them live, the venue is (officially, but yes, blah blah) on the hook for the ASCAP/BMI fees.

Archived