Beta 58A, proper positioning?

• Members

We were using a Beta 58A on the gig I ran sound for tonight (first time ever, lol), and I was taught when using the SM58's to position monitors off-axis to prevent feedback. Is the Beta 58A the same way? I know it's super cardioid IIRC, but tonight when we used it (mind you, this was on the patio of a restaurant, and the band was in the corner literally) we had a bad issue with a mid-band hum (somewhere in the 400-600 cycles range), no amount of EQ helped. The mic was approx. 5ft off the ground, slightly off center from the monitor, and horizontally positioned. I'll try to dig up a picture to explain what I mean...

One thing I did learn, those mics capture a LOT of bleed!

• Members

Could be caused by a combination of things that were present here. Now it's certainly possible that the mic is a counterfit (I haven't had any significant problems with real B-58's) it would pay to double-check everything including channel that may have been set to inadvertantly contribute to the problem.

• Members

I don't think it was a counterfeit...I'll have the guy I loaned it off of let me look at it. I do need to get a nice RTA soon, and it's definitely in the plans (as always).

You have no way of knowing, even looking at it won't tell you anything. The fakes are that good cosmetically. Unless it was bought new from an authorized Shure dealer (an honest one at that), it's just as likely to be a fake.

An RTA is likely to be as much a hinderance as a help as well, unless you bother to learn how it works and what it will not tell you accurately. It can lead you down an incorrect path pretty easily.

• Members

You have no way of knowing, even looking at it won't tell you anything. The fakes are that good cosmetically. Unless it was bought new from an authorized Shure dealer (an honest one at that), it's just as likely to be a fake.

An RTA is likely to be as much a hinderance as a help as well, unless you bother to learn how it works and what it will not tell you accurately. It can lead you down an incorrect path pretty easily.

I've used an RTA when I was in school for recording. I have a general idea...a bit more help wouldn't hurt though.

• Members

I've used an RTA when I was in school for recording. I have a general idea...a bit more help wouldn't hurt though.

you sure it wasnt a fast fourier transform function instead? using a frequency analyzer is like asking your wife whats wrong. she might giveyou an answer but you have no way of knowing if its the right one or what it really means.

Archived