Public Parks and Baby Squirrels

Idunno

• Members

I took a Yamaha CG110CE to a remote area of a public park today, with a sammich and stuff, and played a bit. Nice cool day, slight breeze. Short story, this little squirrel found me and showed absolutely no reservations about sitting on the blanket right next to me accepting bits of crackers with peanut butter on them. It was taking it straight out of my hand. So much for my snack. City varmints get somewhat domesticated with people around all the time I guess. This little guy has probably been around people since it left the nest. I picked up my stuff a bit later and as I stood up I found myself staring eye-to-eye with a Red Shouldered hawk not 5 feet from me on a low branch. When did he get there? Was he there when I arrived? I did not hear anything of his arrival - of course with this tinnitus an elephant could sneak up on me. Anyway, thought I'd share the experience. As you were.

• Members

And it sounds as if it was a very nice experience, Joe. The squirrels in my local park are equally tame and will beg prettily at your feet.

Alas the UK weather is far too inclement to tarry for long and certainly not good enough to sit and play guitar.

• Members
Howard' date=' the weather here has been very odd. Last Saturday was the hottest day on record for central Florida. A couple days later it dipped to the high 30s and today it's 77 as I type this (3:45 pm).[/quote']

I would give a lot to bask in a temperature of 77F - it's about 40F here.

And most of the squirrels are sleeping although an enterprising one visits my garden to graze on the titbits I've left for the birds

• Members

Took my wife to the States in October. She saw squirrels for the first time. She asked if they were mice.I told her 'No. They're squirrels,'

She still can't pronounce 'squirrel'. I don't hold it against her.

That's one more thing she learned about the USA. America has squirrels. Saigon doesn't. Although I've heard there are some bigguns in the forests of SE Asia.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/transcoded/b/b6/Black_giant_squirrel_%28Malayan_giant_squirrel%29% 2C_Ratufa_bicolor_-_Kaeng_Krachan_National_Park.webm/Black_giant_squirrel_%28Malayan_giant_squirrel%29% 2C_Ratufa_bicolor_-_Kaeng_Krachan_National_Park.webm.480p.webm

• Members
America has squirrels. Saigon doesn't. Although I've heard there are some bigguns in the forests of SE Asia.

If they would have them, they would not have them. Squirrels are sorta tasty, I've been told. Some folks hunt down the Grey Squirrels because they displace the native Red Squirrels. They say a squirrel is tasty. But not much meat in it, you need three to four for a meal....

• Members
I had quite a different experience with a skunk once.

I didn't get crop dusted but it did scare me pretty good ... :lol:

There was this albino skunk that ravaged a grassy slope on one side of my house every night. One night I was out having a smoke and saw it rooting around for grubs. I took about a 1 pound stone from a landscaped area by my house and tossed it underhanded into the air. It actually landed right on it. Crap, that thing sprayed every point of the compass and then ran off.

I went back into the house and my wife asked me if I smelled something funky. It had hit the house and the basement window was slightly open. Nice. Skunk 1, human zero. That house (Shelbyville, KY) sat adjacent to a wooded area and all kinds of varmints could be seen each night, including coyotes and lot's of deer.

• Members

At one time I worked in a chemical plant that was in the middle of nowhere and sometimes critters--skunks, possums, snakes--would wander onto the grounds. Once a possum got into the warehouse and I found out "playing possum" was a misnomer. I tried to shoo it out an open door by stomping my feet and yelling "Shoo, possum!" It just stood there and bared its teeth and kind of hissed at me.

• Members
At one time I worked in a chemical plant that was in the middle of nowhere and sometimes critters--skunks' date=' possums, snakes--would wander onto the grounds. Once a possum got into the warehouse and I found out "playing possum" was a misnomer. I tried to shoo it out an open door by stomping my feet and yelling "Shoo, possum!" It just stood there and bared its teeth and kind of hissed at me.[/quote']

Leave the garage door open and possum will wander in and make themselves at home now and then. They're in no hurry to leave either when you try to shoo them away.

Too bad they're not edible. At least, not edible by me, I mean.

• Members

Opossums eat things buzzards won't so feed them cornbread and apples to clean them out before you prep them for eating. Or, opossums eat things scavengers won't but a very select and narrow cross section of a self-sufficient and resourceful demographic eats opossums.

Yummo....

That said, I have had my share of varmints - squirrel, rabbit, foxbat and others I didn't want to ask. Salt water soaked, pressure cooked and browned in the oven, you can prepare them all to taste pretty good.

• Members

Reminds me of this recipe ...Take a nice thick carp filet and place it on a piece of cardboard. Cover it on both sides with melted butter and scatter it with carmelized onions. Sprinkle the carp with plenty of salt and pepper. Bake it in the oven for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove it from the oven, throw away the carp, and eat the cardboard.

Archived