Latest barn find - SX500 & GPS 3500

• Members

Dusty old garage actually where some cats had been living (that's another story!). Two EV SX500a cabinets in pretty good shape once cleaned up, and two Peavey GPS 3500 amps. All works well other than needing a diaphragm replaced on on of the EV's horns.

Question #1- how tight do you screw in the bolt and rubber spacer that holds the back of the HF driver in place?

#2 - the stock diaphragm is $70, can a guy get away with using one of the $35 aftermarket units?

#3 -why iis the 3500 the only model in that line that isn't rated to drive a 4ohm load in bridge mode? (according to the manual, although I've seen a 3500watt rating listed on some other sites.)

I also got a pair of Gemini GX 450 powered tops that needed a little cleaning up but seem to work fine and only paid $350 for everything. Anyone still using the SX500's or Peavey GPS amps?

Doug

• Members

The driver should be very snug but not wrenched on.

I would suggest the factory part, there area few good aftermarket diaphragms but plenty of really crappy ones. The problem is that if you don't have a long history of trust with the supplier, there's no way to tell and it's worse than a crapshoot.

• Members

Yes that's what I was thinking...just get the factory replacement part and call it good. I did get the driver good and snug on the horn, but what about the rubber support behind it that tightens with a screw through the back of the cabinet? The EV's were definately the find over the Gemini's, but I like the flexibility of a powered speaker with a 3 channel mixer and eq built in and these dont sound too bad. I can't wait to put the new finds to work!

Archived