Software for "location" while creating/recording new tracks?

• Members

Here's what I'm trying to do; feel free to make suggestions. My biggest problem with performing has always been keeping track of my location in the song. Of course I know if I'm in a verse, or the chorus or bridge. But, which measure and which beat? Sounds odd, since most musicians either do this instinctively or by counting. Neither has really worked for me. I'm using a DAW to record my own songs layer by layer. I'd like to see an existing track measure-by-measure, not just the typical waveform. I thought about MuseScore, which would let me enter x number of measures with basic chord changes, then move through the notation while it plays it as midi. I could pipe that into headphones while watching the screen and laying down a guitar lead (for example). Being able to literally see how much room I have left will help me control phrasing etc. What are some ways I could achieve this and maybe even simplify?

• Members

I'm using Reaper, and someone took a shot at this in 2010 (file named ReScore-1.0.0.0.zip but I can't get the link to insert here). The idea seems to be considered unresolved as of 2014 (link below-click on "Situation about"). I may have to look outside my DAW.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The time display in your DAW can be set to present a numerical value of measures and beats. You can also use markers, setting them at whatever points you want in the song, to help give you visual cues as to where you are and what is coming up. Personally, I use Reaper which gives me the ability to label the markers with useful text and to use different colors - I find the use of colors to be effective enough and only use the labels occasionally.

Archived