Microphones & Mic Stands (and some wireless)

• Members

Looking to get new mics for live sound use. Thinking along the lines of SM58/Beta 58A's, SM57's, e835/e935's, N/D767 & N/D967's, and other vocal mics, some E609's for guitars, Audix drum mics (and possibly Sennheiser as backups), Shure & AT overheads, and a couple D112's or MD421's for bass. What would you guys recommend for general use? It would be mainly southern/classic rock, some heavy metal, some funk-type, and others. Also, what would you guys recommend for mic stands? I'm definitely going to put them in cases, but they need to be at least a little bit durable, lol.

Also, I was thinking about picking up a 4-set of wireless units for general PA/DJ work. Nothing too expensive, but I'm not going to cheap out either. Pending a look, I've been debating on the Line6 XD-V higher-end units (probably the V75) but I'm open to other suggestions, that I can also purchase lavalier & headset mics for.

• Members

Also, I was thinking about picking up a 4-set of wireless units for general PA/DJ work. Nothing too expensive, but I'm not going to cheap out either. Pending a look, I've been debating on the Line6 XD-V higher-end units (probably the V75) but I'm open to other suggestions, that I can also purchase lavalier & headset mics for.

I'm also interested in picking up a few Line6 XD-V55 units (one lav and one handheld probably) so will be interested in which way you go with wireless.

• Members

Can't say enough good things about the Line 6 handheld units! I've had mine for a while now and it's the quietest, easier to use wireless unit I have used in small scale. I am in the NYC are so there is a lot of interference to go around and I never, not once had an issue with this unit.

Rod

• Members

Good to hear you like your wireless mics Rod. Which one do you use? I was doing a gig with a band that had two Sennheiser 835 wireless units, and every time I turned around, you could hear the analog noise, plus one unithad a nasty habit of opening the squelch when the mic was shut off...scary. ANYWAYS, here's a short list of the mics I've thought of getting, based on recommendations and past experience with some...

Vocal Mics:

Shure Beta 58A

Shure SM58

Audix OM-2

Sennheiser e935

EV ND967

EV N/D767a

Instrument:

Shure SM57 (Misc)

Sennheiser e609/e906 (Guitars)

AKG D112 (Bass)

Sennheiser MD421 (Bass/Toms)

Drum:

Audix D6 (Kick)

Audix i5 (Snare)

Audix D2 (High Toms)

Audix D4 (Floor Toms)

Sennheiser e902/e602 (Kick)

Sennheiser e904/604 (High Toms)

Sennheiser e905 (Snare)

Audio-Technica AT4041 (OH)

Shure SM81 (OH)

If anyone has some suggestions, they would be appreciated! And as far as the mic stands go, I'm going to be getting a bulk of them (probably 20, just to be safe) as I will be doing a lot of bluegrass and such, which will mean mic'ing up individual instruments as well, so to be on the safe side, lol.

• Members

I'm going to rent a Line 6 this weekend for an outdoor wedding ceremony for the JP. Hoping for a lav in addition to a hand held V70 or whatever is the latest. After all of the great comments here on the forum as well as Don's advice (especially with UHF freqs and safe harbors re IEMs) I figure I have to try the brand! I'll report back after the weekend. Just spoken word use but it's outdoor on a mountain. Dave

• Members

Since you're getting some SM-57s, the Shure DMK57-52 drum kit is a good place to start. You get 3 SM-57s with mic clips, a Beta 52 , and 3 drum clamps. It ranges from $350-400. Over all great deal.

May pick one up just to have. Lol.

Let me know how that works for you Leftcoast.

• Members

I'm not clear on your mission, are you starting/expanding a SR operation to cover anything that comes at you?

That would be my queston as well. Or to put it another way, what's the purpose of the purchase?

I actually like the much maligned D112 on bass - at least the couple of times I've tried it.

• Members

That would be my queston as well. Or to put it another way, what's the purpose of the purchase?

I actually like the much maligned D112 on bass - at least the couple of times I've tried it.

Ha! Ha! Ha! I was just going to say, not a bad all round mic closet BUT I'd scratch the D112 and maybe get an Beyer M88 instead (I don't mind the D112 on SOME kicks (hey I still own one) but never liked it for much else). Love the Senheisers for toms but why not the 902 for kick (best one I ever used). The I5 is OK for snare but (depending on the sound you want) a good old SM57 is my choice.

FWIW I'd have NO PROBLEM with that mic selection as it is for most of the groups I mix. Pretty good choices so far.

• Members

I was doing a gig with a band that had two Sennheiser 835 wireless units, and every time I turned around, you could hear the analog noise, plus one unithad a nasty habit of opening the squelch when the mic was shut off...scary.

Had they been set up properly? Were they on a frequency band that was suitable for the location? Was the squelch correctly adjusted?

I haven't had any trouble with any of the Sennheiser W/L that I have used so I would suspect the setup first.

• Members

I use the Line 6 V-70 handheld unit. We are an acoustic duo, so we only use one unit, and not very long runs between the transmitter and receiver, just to explain how I use my unit.

I have no basis to coment on how this would work on other environments but I am pretty confident in this unit.

Rod

• Members

This is going to be to expand sound reinforcement, to have plenty for just about anything. (Main goal is a two-stage festival I'm planning on next year) that way I also have spares for most anything. Don't need to worry about real specialties as far as anything outside of the typical 3-5 piece band)

Had they been set up properly? Were they on a frequency band that was suitable for the location? Was the squelch correctly adjusted?

I haven't had any trouble with any of the Sennheiser W/L that I have used so I would suspect the setup first.

Yeah, they were set up properly, it did it both at this restaurant/bar and at a small bar about 2 miles up the road. I'm going to take a look at it for them. It only did it once or twice when I worked with them, but that was when I didn't mute the board between sets. I'll have to take a look. Their second (newer) unit doesn't do it, thank god. (The owner does need to learn a bit more about mic technique, lol. I refuse to ride the fader if she stays backed off the mic...)

• Members

Whatever route you go, it is nice to have a collection of "combat duty" mics. That mic that you fall back on when things are moving too quickly to get real picky about which mic you're using. For those kinds of gigs, I keep a half dozen e835's. Wouldn't bother me if they were 58's either.

• Members

Vocal: OM7 or 3, N/D767 or 967, PL80A. PR35?

Wireless: Line 6, ULXD (w PR35 capsule?).

Guitar: AT4050, PR30, PR40, E906, D4.

Kick: PR40 (also for bass guitar).

Floor: D4

Racks: D4, D2, E904.

Snare: D4, D2, D1, E904, Pro37.

Hat & OH: Pro37

Archived