• Members

I don't think we ever came up with a consensus as to what horns "throw" best. Given powered cabs of equal SPL rating (127db/1m in the case of mine) would the one with a 90x45 horn "throw" better than the one with the 90x60 one? I think the science of it says they will be equal but in actual usage the one with the narrower vertical dispersion seems to win out past 50 or 100 feet or am I just hallucinating ;) ? I can understand that indoors keeping sound off the ceiling increases the intelligibility at the back of the room. So what's going on outdoors that seems to favor the narrower vertical dispersion horn?

At 185' both these cabs calculate out at 95db max for a pair. That's the distance from the stage to the vendor area in the case of the gig I have tomorrow - I think I only need 80db or less back there which is the SPL of a shouting person...

• Members
On axis it doesn't matter. They are all the same given starting at the same point. Speakers don't "throw". They spread out more quickly or less quickly.

You'd think so from the science but have you heard how rapidly those QSC "K" speakers with their conical horns seem to "drop off"? OTOH it could be because they are flatter than most cabs and don't have those harsh peaks that "cut though"?

• Members

Dispersion below 1kHz is way wider than anything the HF horn would control. This causes an imbalance in sound at different distances due to differing dispersion rates versus frequency.

It's unavoidable in most cases (except longer line arrays) but a careful choice of cabinets can make the effect less noticeable.

• Members

Dispersion below 1kHz is way wider than anything the HF horn would control. This causes an imbalance in sound at different distances due to differing dispersion rates versus frequency.

It's unavoidable in most cases (except longer line arrays) but a careful choice of cabinets can make the effect less noticeable.

There you go. You learn something new every day.

This also lends it self to the discussion of the limited degree to which you can eq a system in a venue since it is going to sound different at different positions around the speakers and different distances from the speakers ;)

In an inside gig, you also have reflections and about 1000 other sound influences which make it difficult as well.

Me, I just stand out about 50 ft at center stage and call that good ;) It may sound different in different places, but it seems to me that this is unavoidable.

• Members

You are correct.

The LF dispersion is speherical (or hemi-spherical) as well, compared with the dispersiuon pattern of the horn which is rectangular or ovoid. Outside of the Hf pattern, the LF pattern dominates, and inside the pattern generally the HF pattern dominates.

There is no perfect coverage possible over all frequencies. This is in spite of what some manufacturers say in their marketing crap.

There you go. You learn something new every day.

This also lends it self to the discussion of the limited degree to which you can eq a system in a venue since it is going to sound different at different positions around the speakers and different distances from the speakers
;)

In an inside gig, you also have reflections and about 1000 other sound influences which make it difficult as well.

Me, I just stand out about 50 ft at center stage and call that good
;)
It may sound different in different places, but it seems to me that this is unavoidable.

• Members

Inside you have room modes. You hit a limit (generated by the shortest dimension ... usually ceiling height) that makes trying to EQ below 2-300 Hz pointless. The sound is just different every foot or two.

• Members

The only thing eq below 200-300Hz helps with is with appearant energy density which is only part of the equation but can improve the perception. It doesn't really correct the problem but id does help by removing SOME of the buildup of energy that is a result of the problem.

• Members

You'd think so from the science but have you heard how rapidly those QSC "K" speakers with their conical horns seem to "drop off"? OTOH it could be because they are flatter than most cabs and don't have those harsh peaks that "cut though"?

I did a fairly good sized event Saturday and had questions as to how a pair of the HPR122i's stacked with the horns together would do. At 120 feet they were still kicking some pretty good butt. I was pleasantly surprised. The HPR's have 60 degree conical horns.

• Members
I did a fairly good sized event Saturday and had questions as to how a pair of the HPR122i's stacked with the horns together would do. At 120 feet they were still kicking some pretty good butt. I was pleasantly surprised. The HPR's have 60 degree conical horns.

I was doing OK at 185 feet with just a pair of RCF 310A's over subs :freak: - not R&R though and no butt kicking happening or required :D .

Archived