the guys at Warm Audio are at it again... this time it's a pultec

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Members

i picked up one of these yesterday and hooked it up today

so far i've only tracked bass through it but i have to say i'm impressed so far... did the boost and cut thing in the low end and then boosted the highs a bit... really liked the tone i got

• Members

cheers Phil

i'm trying really hard of late to get the tones i want while tracking, rather than messing with stuff too much at mix time... this involves being braver with things like using eq while tracking, recording reverb etc etc

this eq seems great for that purpose

I've been saying for years that digital is more dependent on what you put into the recorder than analog. You're not going to get any of the transient smoothing - that sweet tape compression... and none of the coloration in the lows (head bump) and highs (HF rolloff / noise reduction side-effects) that you get with 2" tape, so if you want character, you've got to make sure it's there on input. Sims are great - I'm still amazed by how good the Universal Audio Powered Plugins are - but most software works on things after it's tracked, and the basic character has already been established. IMHO, what you give them to work with makes a significant difference - which means there's still importance in the front end - the mic, the room, the preamp, EQ and compressor... :)

Archived