Video Demo- How Long?

dan88z

• Members

I say try to keep it at 3-4 min if possible. Main thing is make sure every clip has something unique to "say". You don't really need two clips of guitar solos or featuring a secondary vocalist for example. Shorter is always better. People get bored easy and if they start to think at ALL that "I've seen this already" then you're going to lose them.

• Members

I followed my buddies direction who owns the big corporate entertainment production company here in Orlando. His company does about $7 million a year providing corporate entertainment and he told me 3 to 5 minutes with as many songs and diverse styles on there as possible I had 15 or 16 snippets on my video came in just around five minutes. I could cut it down to two minutes Easily if I wanted to but then I would have half the number of songs on there I just did but he told me I suspect no one will listen that long maybe brides for wedding band that's about it. I think if it's good the client will know in the first minute anyway so anything after that's really just a moot point they already sold by then.

• Members
I followed my buddies direction who owns the big corporate entertainment production company here in Orlando. His company does about $7 million a year providing corporate entertainment and he told me 3 to 5 minutes with as many songs and diverse styles on there as possible I had 15 or 16 snippets on my video came in just around five minutes. I could cut it down to two minutes Easily if I wanted to but then I would have half the number of songs on there I just did but he told me I suspect no one will listen that long maybe brides for wedding band that's about it. I think if it's good the client will know in the first minute anyway so anything after that's really just a moot point they already sold by then.
This is my feelings as well. People know in the first minute whether they like the band or not. Brides will pay attention much longer and, if they like the band, play the video repeatedly and for everyone.

my next demo will have both a shorter and longer version, I think. Or extended separate clips of individual songs.

• Members
This is my feelings as well. People know in the first minute whether they like the band or not. Brides will pay attention much longer and, if they like the band, play the video repeatedly and for everyone.

my next demo will have both a shorter and longer version, I think. Or extended separate clips of individual songs.

Yup on my youtube I have the short promo vid plus extended versions of every song plus a few that didn't make the video:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
For better or worse, we don't use any produced stuff, just live tracks for both audio and video samples. I use this in any marketing we do as "you get what you see". If you like us book us. If not, that's fine too.

http://www.nextexitrocks.com/media

I like your site! Good stuff! Makes you guys look like a fun band.

I get the "you get what you see" approach. And you have some good live videos too. My only fear is that the static-cam live video/audio doesn't really give the full impression of what people get. Nobody is just going to be standing there staring straight ahead at a gig for 5 minutes. Hopefully...lol So many times I'll watch back that footage and I'll be thinking "damn...the room was so much more fun and energetic than this clip looks..."

So I'm always looking for ways to try and convey that sense of energy that the gigs have that you can often only really sense when you're there.

• Members

I like your site! Good stuff! Makes you guys look like a fun band.

I get the "you get what you see" approach. And you have some good live videos too. My only fear is that the static-cam live video/audio doesn't really give the full impression of what people get. Nobody is just going to be standing there staring straight ahead at a gig for 5 minutes. Hopefully...lol So many times I'll watch back that footage and I'll be thinking "damn...the room was so much more fun and energetic than this clip looks..."

So I'm always looking for ways to try and convey that sense of energy that the gigs have that you can often only really sense when you're there.

Thanks, and I can see your point. Frankly I'd edit it better if I could but we just don't have that luxury of bringing a film crew with us to a gig, especially a private one. And you never know if you're going to get a rip roaring party or a snoozefest so we may be wasting money if we could.

I'm just not a fan of videos that show snippets of shows while a recording, done in a studio or other controlled environment, is played over it. To me it tastes of cheese and comes off as disingenuous. My favorite though as to be a site my drummer found where their "demo" tunes are actually the original artist recordings.

• Members

Thanks, and I can see your point. Frankly I'd edit it better if I could but we just don't have that luxury of bringing a film crew with us to a gig, especially a private one. And you never know if you're going to get a rip roaring party or a snoozefest so we may be wasting money if we could.

I hear you on that for sure.

I'm just not a fan of videos that show snippets of shows while a recording, done in a studio or other controlled environment, is played over it. To me it tastes of cheese and comes off as disingenuous.

Well, the key is to put yourself in the potential client's shoes. A lot of stuff that you or I would recognize immediately as "controlled", they aren't going to get. Not that you necessarily need to try and fool anyone, but just always keep in mind that they aren't going to be as nitpicky and discerning as we would be.

And, of course, that works both ways as well. I see a lot of band with just some absolute crap video demos that seem to get a ton of work. So I may just be overthinking the whole thing sometimes.

Bottom line is---whatever works!

My favorite though as to be a site my drummer found where their "demo" tunes are actually the original artist recordings.

LOL...that's hilarious!

Archived