good find or waste of money

• Members

While waiting for the Mrs to pick thru stuff at a garage sale she approaches me with 2 older AT wireless mics and asks me if I'm interested. Now I don't own anything wireless. I remember the the stink created by the FCC limiting the frequency's. Can anyone tell me if mics in the 169.XX range are still usuable. I picked a pair up for $20 and both work fine. But I did tell the woman that I wasn't sure if they were usuable and being a church sale she agreed to take them back if so. If I'm reading this right the Freq. code is T2 and T3 if that helps.

• Members

Those are the frequencies recalled for High Definition broadcasts of standard-range television stations. Using that system will most likely get horrid noise and stray signals and make you hate using it.

Its cool that its cheap, but I wouldn't even bother.

• Members

Actually they sounded pretty good. More than adequate for announcements. I'm on top of a hill and can see every TV and radio stations tower from here. I had them on for an hour or so to see if they would pick anything up and didn't hear a thing. I thought TV was in the 500 to 700 hz range.

• Members

They are some cheapies I'm sure Freeway 220 series. Both work great Hell they look great and had the manuals and boxes with them. What do you know, something I can actually use and a break as far as price.- Damn I can even claim them as a find...Momma found them.

• Members

Thats what I was thinking, hand them to someone if they have to make an announcement. Nothing critical. At $10 a piece I won't care if they get trashed. Thanks Andy and Bill. I don't know how you guys keep track of all the little details and I'm anal as hell.

• Members

Since digital broadcast, I've found that VHF is actualy less crowded than UHF. The compander circuitry in those older mics wasn't as good but it's like the old analog cells "they might get noisy but they'd often work where what ever the latest "G" is doesn't"

$20 for two? - A steal (and still better than some of the current crop of bottom feeder gear). You did great!

Archived