Christmas loot and New Year's Resolution.

Idunno

• Members

I got a great big sack of chocolate covered cashews. Sorry, no clips. I anticipate a little extra exercise in my near future. Today I may go down to the local M&P and spend a dollar with them just to spread some commercially traditional holiday cheer.

It's never too early to start thinking of the New Year's Resolution. A month in advance, I'm preparing for it now by growing a beard. The day it comes around I'll shave it off and resolve not to grow another for 11 months. It's been my perennial resolution for about a decade now.

• Members

I got manscaping gear, a steam mop and a Pick Punch. I was told that the latter works best with credit cards. My wife is passive aggressive enough that there could loads of subtext in these gifts. Still, my intentions are to play more at home, find an open mic and either drag friends and family out along with or at least to karaoke. Regardless, I need to make a bigger investment in music and show my inner circle how important music is to me.

• Members

When we met at the Georgia Jam Fest I did. It's all white now. Plus, having lost a bit more from the topside I look like my head's on upside when I'm sporting one. Can't have that. I'd look like an outlaw version of that Kringle dood. Now I grow one starting at November's end and take a razor to it on New Year's day. That's enough.

• Members

Some books: Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History Of Time," John Cleese's autobiography, "So, Anyway...", and the book the movie "A Christmas Story" is based on. Also a nice shirt in a color I don't care for. Nothing musical; I'll have to take care of that for myself.

• Members

I bought a book yesterday at Barnes & Noble titled The Betrayal of the American Dream (by Donald L. Barlett and James B. Steele) for a little light reading on the subject of America's war on its own middle class, or some such notion.

Ever heard of the term "iSlave"? You gotta go to China to understand its context within the Apple company structure. Or, harken back a couple years ago when Chinese workers were in the global headlines for committing suicide. Yep, iSlaves.

• Members

Poor bastards. But there is no American Dream in China, godless heathens. In America though, we can dream, and it'll turn out just as viable as that one you had when you were flying in slo-mo. That was an awesome dream, and so is our collective one! Uuuuuurrrrr....did this just get political...? Well, they build nice guitars under better conditions, I'm sure. And im sure there's a few out there that actually fly in Slo-mo. Well, there's at least one guy sleeping with Anelina Jolie anyway. So there's that.😫

• Members

They probably do make better guitars. How did that go? Let the Brits assemble the infrastructure of industry and then we'll claim it when their 100 year lease expires? That they did. Sooo, a little CNC here and CNC there and the next thing you know they've copied Martins down to the headstock logo and sell them as such. Oh, don't forget Land Rover's Range Rover copied down to the last detail of its built-in obsolescence. Because they don't recognize our laws of copyright, they do as they please. But, on T, they will and do produce better guitars from what I've seen. It's that bit about their over-lordship of their wealth of minions that begs for even a quick glance from the world's blind eyes of industry and consumerism that puts hesitation in the normal function of my wallet. In the most altruistic bone I can work up, I'd flood Mr Binh with orders before contracting with the Chinese; preferring to compromise on the side of human error versus human slavery. Me, a beggar's philanthropist. Indeed.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Lemme see: I got the old Batman series on DVD; Farscape and Game of Thrones on Blu-Ray, a couple of novels, a couple of CDs, and the Eastman E10D. I was sick throughout the holidays, and the deaths of my brother and father within a 3 week period cast a pall over everything. I am glad that's over.

As for resolutions....

Resume my fitness regimen. Got kinda off track with that last year.

Spend more time recording and making music.

Not slobber over my keyboard looking at guitars I don't own. As a matter of fact, I sincerely doubt I'll be buying any more guitars in the next few years. After lots of trial and error, and the hassles of re-selling at a significant loss, I've arrived at what is a pretty damn fine collection of guitars.

Be kinder to people.

Tell those people who are important to me that I love them.

That is about it.

• Members

Good assessment of self, Glenn.

I'm with your fitness concept. Making it a reality is in the works.

Recording might be something I do, might not. I did create a file of lyrics - covers and my own - that I may pony up the time for. It just seems the more I learn, the less I'm impressed with myself.

No new guitars. I'm done with that.

The "kinder to people" thing, when life's wheel barrow of human truths just gets more burdensome each year, is a tough one for me. But, I hear you. I think the method is two-fold. 1) Acquiesce 2) Fake it.

I got the expression of love down pretty well. Very small world there. Easy.

• Members

To be kinder to people makes the world just a little less grey, just a little less ugly. To mangle a cliche, it is part of the solution, not the problem. Humanity, as a species, is probably doomed, but that doesn't mean I can't be nice to individuals. They are just trying to cope with the insanity of everyday life such as it is at this point in time.

As far as my fitness goes, I was biking around 200 km a week starting in 2010, and I knocked off around 100 lbs. The last year has been difficult, with strife in my family causing a bad case of depression, and less motivation to bike. So, I've put back on a bit of weight, and that has to go.

• Members

I recently met through my son a group of people who subscribe to the kinder, gentler approach to each other. He joined some kids around his own age who are members of a privately run organization of male choir singers and troubadours. He sings in a Barber Shop Quartet. The ages of the organization are mid teens to people older than me. It's almost difficult for me to resign myself to keeping in their company even for a brief visit. They're like way-gooey nice. I do not know that kind of disarmed existence. Being a life-conditioned loner, I tend to trust everyone as far as I can throw a bull by the tail. These guys seem genuine, which doesn't compute for me, so I'll just hang at the periphery. Beyond that, I do try to exercise patience with everyone else and seek to help rather than hinder - most times. Other times I just shoot them.

Archived