Presonus AB1818VSL

• Members

Just eBay'd one of these for $400 shipped (used w/ 1 year warranty). It's basically an eight channel StudioLive 16.0.2 with no control surface, is USB instead of firewire, and is expandable to 16 ins with an ADA8000 or equivalent ADAT interface :cool:. Should work with any laptop to give wireless iPad control :) .

• Members
Cute church piece where things can be set and forget by a contractor and locked off from tinkering hands.

Like the original StudioLive the "live" part is a work-in-progress at best :freak: - but there seem to be enough live guys over on their forum to keep their feet in the fire and get'r'done ;) . Can you believe the auxes are presently permanently linked for stereo monitoring :freak: ?

• Members

I'm considering one as well, to mount in the front of my 3 space computer/router rack. I'm thinking for those tiny gigs.

Comedian - 1 mic, 2 monitors

Tribute act - 1 mic, laptop for backing tracks

Duo

Open mic - 3 mics, 3 DI's 2 monitors

That way I don't even need to bring my SL16.0.2 less setup, quicker setup makes the job more appealing at a lower price point. If it lasts 5 years, works for me. Buy what they have in 5 years. At $500 new, that's not bad...

Let me know what you think! I've downloaded the APP to get a feel for it...

• Members

And you HAVE to have a working user interface (ie. laptop, etc) At that point, I think the SL16 might be a more convenient option... or my M-406 or MX-508 certainly might be. Still 3 or 4 units without the hassles of the computer and possible issues.

I'm considering one as well, to mount in the front of my 3 space computer/router rack. I'm thinking for those tiny gigs.

Comedian - 1 mic, 2 monitors

Tribute act - 1 mic, laptop for backing tracks

Duo

Open mic - 3 mics, 3 DI's 2 monitors

That way I don't even need to bring my SL16.0.2 less setup, quicker setup makes the job more appealing at a lower price point. If it lasts 5 years, works for me. Buy what they have in 5 years. At $500 new, that's not bad...

Let me know what you think! I've downloaded the APP to get a feel for it...

• Members

I'm not buying that 5 year life span. Personus is constantly offering firmware and software upgrades. Of course there will be new products available but the 1818 will still be useable for a long time.

If you look at the history of these kinds of devices, most have a product life cycle of ~3 years and supported for an additional 5 years (assumiong parts are available). Yamaha and DBX are some of the few exceptions but even they are cutting back on legacy product support. I got burned on a BSS DSP (SoundWeb) where they stopped supporting the product ony a couple years after it was discontinued. They offered to replace it with a new product at an accommodation discount but that was still over $4k... hardly an acceptable solution to the client.

Things are moning so fast in the industry that the manufacturers no longer have the luxury of extended support, they (most) have to move onto new products demanded by the consumer (as opposed to commercial/industrial) marketplace... the same market that accepts that a cell phone device has a lifespan of 2 years. Compromises are made that address cost and features at the expense of long term reliability and support. This is of course a generalization, but one that is becoming more and more accurate as time goes by.

• Members

And you HAVE to have a working user interface (ie. laptop, etc) At that point, I think the SL16 might be a more convenient option... or my M-406 or MX-508 certainly might be. Still 3 or 4 units without the hassles of the computer and possible issues.

True. It will sit in the same box as the Mac Mini and router. Set the gains and then mix via iPad...

• Members

Got it in and it's pretty interesting (and weird). Took me a while to get the iPad working with it - I made the mistake of thinking the procedure in the manual was correct :facepalm:. As-is it's a nice little mixer as long as three stereo monitor mixes does it for you and you can live without a solo system. The headphone jack is actually one of the monitor mixes and can't be used to "listen in" on channels or even the main out :freak:. The 1-2 outs are actually the same as the main outs - 3-4, 5-6 and 7-8 are the three monitor mixes with 7-8 also feeding the headphone jack. I suppose that all makes sense to somebody somewhere LOL. Otherwise it is kind of like a 16.0.4 without the control surface.

There are already numerous requests to "un-link" the stereo monitor sends, make the mutes work on all outputs and have HPFs on the outputs (it's Deja Vu all over again! :facepalm:), etc.

BTW Presonus is looking to finally fix the HPFs on the StudioLive - it will be selectable between 6 (present slope), 12, 18, and 24 db/octave I think :) .

• Members

I'm thinking about one these for traveling. Places that have nothing or useless junk for a PA system. I can pack this in a suitcase. Just have to figure out how to get powered speakers in there too! LOL But this would at least give me a few channels with some decent reverb.

• Members
I'm thinking about one these for traveling. Places that have nothing or useless junk for a PA system. I can pack this in a suitcase. Just have to figure out how to get powered speakers in there too! LOL But this would at least give me a few channels with some decent reverb.

It is a rack unit so kinda large and heavy vs a small stand alone mixer like the MG82CX I have...

Archived