Line 6 Toneport replacement?

• Members

I have used my Line 6 Toneport as my interface a LONG time. I'm thinking of making a change to another interface. I have an iMac, I record into Logic Pro9. I have Guitar Rig, Waves GTR and a Kemper Amp Profiler for most of my guitar tones. I'm wondering if I'd get cleaner, higher "quality" vocals with another interface? My mic is a m-audio Luna which requires 48V phantom power. No need for multiple inputs. Just Guitar/bass and vocal mic. Any recommendations?

• Members
If it's working for you' date=' why do you want to change? It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing what it is you want in an interface.[/quote']

I'm wondering if the Focusrite Scarlett or any of the other audio interfaces have superior vocal abilities. I've had the Toneport forever and I'm assuming there's been improvements in the last ten years? What do you use and why?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
The Aphex In2 is very nice. Uses core audio drivers..plug and play!

Thanks for responding. I'm thinking I should have phrased my post differently as response has been minimal. I guess I'm wondering what makes one interface "better" than another? I've had my Toneport ten years, have there been significant improvements in the area?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Simple question with no simple answer. Even 10 years ago there were "better" interfaces than the toneport. But in a way "better" is very subjective and different for every person. What kind of interface do you want? Do you need lots of I/O? (From your posts I'll say no). What kind of room are you in? Is it treated? What kind of monitors? Are the situated in a properly treated room?

I ask those questions because depending on the quality of the playback system you may not be able to really hear the differences in different interfaces. Most people define better by the "sound" of the pres and conversion. But you can't overlook the D/A side either. Like most gear there's personal preference involved, and a point of diminishing returns. Some people might like "warmer" pres. While others like "cleaner" pres. Some people need pres with lots of gain, and some can get by with more modest pres. But if you don't have a solid sounding room a lot of interfaces are going to sound very similar. Mostly because they are. And I'm not saying you have to have a "perfect" room either. Just the differences can be so small as to be hard to hear unless in the best of circumstances.

FWIW my list of small really nice interfaces include a Metric Halo ULN-2. That's my current interface. A Sound Designs USBPre 2 would be my second choice as an interface. I also own an Avid Eleven Rack. Which is not only a great guitar processor but a really solid interface.

Maybe something in there is useful. ;)

• Members
Simple question with no simple answer. Even 10 years ago there were "better" interfaces than the toneport. But in a way "better" is very subjective and different for every person. What kind of interface do you want? Do you need lots of I/O? (From your posts I'll say no). What kind of room are you in? Is it treated? What kind of monitors? Are the situated in a properly treated room?

I ask those questions because depending on the quality of the playback system you may not be able to really hear the differences in different interfaces. Most people define better by the "sound" of the pres and conversion. But you can't overlook the D/A side either. Like most gear there's personal preference involved, and a point of diminishing returns. Some people might like "warmer" pres. While others like "cleaner" pres. Some people need pres with lots of gain, and some can get by with more modest pres. But if you don't have a solid sounding room a lot of interfaces are going to sound very similar. Mostly because they are. And I'm not saying you have to have a "perfect" room either. Just the differences can be so small as to be hard to hear unless in the best of circumstances.

FWIW my list of small really nice interfaces include a Metric Halo ULN-2. That's my current interface. A Sound Designs USBPre 2 would be my second choice as an interface. I also own an Avid Eleven Rack. Which is not only a great guitar processor but a really solid interface.

Maybe something in there is useful. ;)

My room is my bedroom. Not treated or "professional" in any way. I have decent Mackie monitors. How would you describe the Toneport with regard to "warmth" or "clean"? I don't need a lot of features, which I'm guessing is what I/O means? Thanks for being patient. I've been playing for 40 years but the recording realm is something I only have a basic grasp on in terms of terminology.

Archived