Help with mid age! What I want to do for the rest of my life!

C&CSNDS

• Members

This site and forum are new to me, so I apologize if there are already post on this subject, and if I am being redundant!

Background: I have been what I consider to be a “wannabe musician” or do something in the music industry since I was very young. I started playing drums at age 8 and by the time I was a teenager, my family had convinced me that music was not a real occupation and that going to college and working for a company, having a family, and getting my retirement pension was the way of the future!

“Well how did that work out for you?” getting into the electronics and then computer industry, I have gone through multiple layoff, the last one so divesting that because of medical issues with a family member, we pretty much lost everything, so at 57 I’m pretty much starting over. For the past 10 years I have been working for a higher ed institution where I have been responsible for AV as well as IT support groups. I have learned much about the AV industry, and have been able to leverage not only my music knowledge but also my experiences in analog & digital engineering. Over the past few years I have engineered the redesign and renovations of classrooms. This has caused me to finally realize what my true passion is; I really love the AV side that as everyone knows has converged with digital and computer electronics. Unfortunately because of our growth, a newly created group and manager have taken over my AV groups, allowing me to concentrate on the IT side!

Because of this, I am thinking of getting serious about looking into how I can leverage my knowledge, education and experiences, to port my skillset over to a job in the music industry. The question is has anyone on this forum attempted this? AND, am I crazy for even thinking of wanting to move-on at my age! After waffling between jobs in the Corp world, I have found a home in higher ed, but I still feel young, and have a lot of energy, and no longer feel a passion or challenged at my current job. I am not one that gets in the morning just to wait until lunch comes, and then after lunch, waits for the whistle to blow at 5:00 PM! I don’t just want to wait around this place for retirement! Frankly I never want to retire! Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Moderators

feel free to search this forum, because the means of making a living in the biz has been discussed here ad nauseum...

Figure out how you can use your skills to serve a manufacturer, if there are any in your area. I have worked for several over the years. Performing is a much dicier proposition. Many have gone the route of teaching, performing and studio work...there are ways to do it, but much depends on where you are, how good you are...and who you know.

• 2 months later...
  • Members
This site and forum are new to me, so I apologize if there are already post on this subject, and if I am being redundant!

Background: I have been what I consider to be a “wannabe musician” or do something in the music industry since I was very young. I started playing drums at age 8 and by the time I was a teenager, my family had convinced me that music was not a real occupation and that going to college and working for a company, having a family, and getting my retirement pension was the way of the future!

“Well how did that work out for you?” getting into the electronics and then computer industry, I have gone through multiple layoff, the last one so divesting that because of medical issues with a family member, we pretty much lost everything, so at 57 I’m pretty much starting over. For the past 10 years I have been working for a higher ed institution where I have been responsible for AV as well as IT support groups. I have learned much about the AV industry, and have been able to leverage not only my music knowledge but also my experiences in analog & digital engineering. Over the past few years I have engineered the redesign and renovations of classrooms. This has caused me to finally realize what my true passion is; I really love the AV side that as everyone knows has converged with digital and computer electronics. Unfortunately because of our growth, a newly created group and manager have taken over my AV groups, allowing me to concentrate on the IT side!

Because of this, I am thinking of getting serious about looking into how I can leverage my knowledge, education and experiences, to port my skillset over to a job in the music industry. The question is has anyone on this forum attempted this? AND, am I crazy for even thinking of wanting to move-on at my age! After waffling between jobs in the Corp world, I have found a home in higher ed, but I still feel young, and have a lot of energy, and no longer feel a passion or challenged at my current job. I am not one that gets in the morning just to wait until lunch comes, and then after lunch, waits for the whistle to blow at 5:00 PM! I don’t just want to wait around this place for retirement! Frankly I never want to retire! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Good luck, I was one of those that did it for a living .... you should not have any regrets .... your Life happened the way it was intended !!!!

I hope you get into something great with your know how. Who knows, you may be a designer / creator of gear that'll change music forever.

Archived