JBL PRX 512 & PRX 612 power ratings.

• Members

I have a set of 512's and set of 612's. The 512's are rated at 500 watts, the 612's at 1000 watts. As far as I know they both use the same drivers. Did they actually boost the amp by 500w's on the 612's or is this just marketing hype?

500 watts on the low end, with good protective processing... notice that JBL is not powering them at their "program rating" because their engineers know better than their marketing folks.

the 500 watts on the HF is VERY misleading, IIRC the amp delivers ~80 watts into the HF load AND it's properly limited relative to time so with the processing it's probably seeing about 30 watts RMS over time max.

• Members

Are you saying then that the 512 has one 500w amp w/crossover and the 612 has two 500w amps w/crossover?

Sorry, two thoughts one of which related the PRX to the equiv. MRX which is why I mentioned powering as JBL engineers do, not as their marketing folks suggest. ;)

The difference between 1000 watts and 500 watts in a biamped speaker, where the LF amp dominates by a factor of 10 is meaningless marketing drivil. For all intensive purposes they are the same speaker with different numerical marketing ratings.

• Members

The difference between 1000 watts and 500 watts in a biamped speaker, where the LF amp dominates by a factor of 10 is meaningless marketing drivil. For all intensive purposes they are the same speaker with different numerical marketing ratings.

So the 612 is biamped and the 512 is not. Correct?

• Members

Not that I am aware of (not to the extent that the numbers suggest), from what I remember it's redesigned numbers
;)

So is there any real world advantage other than cosmetics and the illusion by the proverbial "higher model number" with the 600 series over the 500 series PRX? :)

• Members

On this note, I was talking to a local company who hires out generators.

I have been asked a few times if my gear can be run outdoors at small events. The most gear that would be running of the generator would be:

2 x PRX612

2 x PRX615

2 x PRX 618S-XLF

1 x mixer

I used 1000W as the maximum for each speaker, though in reality I think it will get nowhere near this. The recommended generator to use was the Honda EU65is.

Does this sound about right for my gear? The majority of times it is going to be used outdoors, I would say it will probably just be something simple like 2 x 612's for a wedding reception etc.

Cheers.

• Members

So is there any real world advantage other than cosmetics and the illusion by the proverbial "higher model number" with the 600 series over the 500 series PRX?
:)

Probably not much of a difference in practice, but it you wanted to expand, it would be easier to buy more of the 600's.

• Members

On this note, I was talking to a local company who hires out generators.

I have been asked a few times if my gear can be run outdoors at small events. The most gear that would be running of the generator would be:

2 x PRX612

2 x PRX615

2 x PRX 618S-XLF

1 x mixer

I used 1000W as the maximum for each speaker, though in reality I think it will get nowhere near this. The recommended generator to use was the Honda EU65is.

Does this sound about right for my gear? The majority of times it is going to be used outdoors, I would say it will probably just be something simple like 2 x 612's for a wedding reception etc.

Cheers.

That's probably a good generator choice, I don't know if everything is the same down (model ID) there but the inverter series (i) works really well.

• Members

500 watts on the low end, with good protective processing... notice that JBL is not powering them at their "program rating" because their engineers know better than their marketing folks.

the 500 watts on the HF is VERY misleading, IIRC the amp delivers ~80 watts into the HF load AND it's properly limited relative to time so with the processing it's probably seeing about 30 watts RMS over time max.

So if the HF driver only needs 80w where the other 420w go since the LF driver has it own 500w of power ?

• Members

So if the HF driver only needs 80w where the other 420w go since the LF driver has it own 500w of power ?

It isn't delivered because the impedance of the HF section is much higher than what the amp is rated at for 500 watts. Going from memory, and I hope I'm not confusing this with another model, the LF driver is 2 ohms (or maybe 2.2 ohms), and the HF driver is nominal 8 ohms. That means that the 500 watt at 2 ohm rated amplifier is only capable of 125 watts at 8 ohms, and then with suitable limiting, it's just about right.

The unused power doesn't go anyware, it's just not generated and delivered to the load in the first place. While the amp is rated to deliver 500 watts into 2 ohms, that's not the load that's being driven.

• Members

So what you are saying is that there is probably not a dimes worth of difference between the two, they just "re-spec'd" it. Interesting.

I just don't remember working on a 500 series but from what I remember from the service info it's essentially the same. (Maybe not identical but close)

Nothing wrong with the product, just the company reacting to the burnig desires of the consumer as well as the drool of the marketing folks. ;)

Archived