Long cable runs, balanced, unbalanced, DBX 641 question...

• Members

Hello,

So I'm looking to install a DBX 641 which has:

If all the inputs where to be right next to it I wouldn't have a problem, however I plan on having 4 inputs spread around the building to enable people to easily plug in an mp3 player or laptop etc and hear it in that place. Keeping the amp and 641 away from meddling fingers but letting people use the remote capabilities to control the level (or switch to one of the other inputs around the building)

So the question is, will I get away with sending line level unbalanced signals over distances of 30/40m or will I need to balance the signal then unbalance it again back at the DBX 641. I could in theory use the two balanced inputs for 2 of the 'zones' but I was planning on using them for the outputs from the mixer in the main area.

Ideas, thoughts and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks

• Members

You have a product that you are trying to use for an application it was not designed.

Here's a viable solution though more costly than I would consider for any application I would recommend (I would choose the correct processor (or mixer) rather than this)

Use unbalanced to balance converters (baluns) to cat 5 and then reconvert back at the processor. It will work, it's a poor design from an engineering standpoint and more costly than using the right equipment from the start.

Let me guess... church installation being done by volunteers who bought the wrong product thinking it was good without knowing what they were doing? Close?

• Members

Close but not quite. I'm well aware it's not quite the right product.

But for the price I paid for it I'm willing to give it a go (about 15% retail price) if it's not too cost prohibitive.

If it doesn't work as I would like it to then I can at least use it without the remote (at the 'zones') inputs to distribute audio throughout the building whilst still giving remote control over levels. (this is the proposal I made when I bought it, anything else is a bonus)

Cat5 baluns was one of my thoughts, we already do some VGA distribution over it.

Just out of curiosity what product would you suggest in this situation? One with balanced inputs across the board and do one conversion at the remote end? I'll freely admit this is not an area I know too much about, but I can't see many other ways of doing it.

• Members

Ok so I'm in the right family of products at least :)

I'm usually all for doing things right first time but there is always budgetary constraints and getting the 641 for that price has cracked opened the doors to me getting other bits and pieces for the PA system (like a Sennheiser G3 handheld ...only 100 series but it is miles ahead of the old old vhf system that was in use before I got there. Which I managed to convince was more hassle than it was worth and switched to a wired mic for 18months till we had enough funds to get a decent wireless system)

• Members

Ok so I'm in the right family of products at least
:)

I'm usually all for doing things right first time but there is always budgetary constraints and getting the 641 for that price has cracked opened the doors to me getting other bits and pieces for the PA system (like a Sennheiser G3 handheld ...only 100 series but it is miles ahead of the old old vhf system that was in use before I got there. Which I managed to convince was more hassle than it was worth and switched to a wired mic for 18months till we had enough funds to get a decent wireless system)

Right, but if it costs you more overall to use a cheaper (or even free) product, you just spent $100 to save $50. That's what I am getting at.

• Members

Right, but if it costs you more overall to use a cheaper (or even free) product, you just spent $100 to save $50. That's what I am getting at.

True, but I spent ~140 on this (including 2 remotes worth ~70) and RRP of the 641M is ~900 plus 2x 70 = 1040. Thus I have around 900 to spend before I would have saved money. I don't plan on spending anywhere near that amount to do this, if it can be done for ~100 then I might consider it, above that and it goes into the 'nice idea but no' pile and I use it as it was intended. I know the difference between good value and cheap :)

• Members

Here you go: http://www.markertek.com/CATV-Headend-Interface/CAT-5-Transmission-Systems/Audio-Over-CAT5-Systems/Intelix/AVO-A2-F.xhtml

Looks like it will run you $100/channel (send and receive) or $400 plus cat 5. That takes care of the balanced transmission conversion.

If you use the 641M, all you need is a simple summing and balancing transformer plus balanced single shielded pair wire... about $35/channel.

Archived