Using a laptop for guitar effects

• Members

I'm sure the Stealth pedal could work but IMO wouldn't be easier to use something like a Vox or Line 6 amp sim pedal that's housed in more rugged stage ready box? then using a fragile laptop that would have to be close by for the usb cable connection and probably add more latency with longer usb cable runs.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by twostone

View Post

I'm sure the Stealth pedal could work but IMO wouldn't be easier to use something like a Vox or Line 6 amp sim pedal that's housed in more rugged stage ready box? then using a fragile laptop that would have to be close by for the usb cable connection and probably add more latency with longer usb cable runs.

Nice suggestion... I don't know those pedals, I'll do some research on them.Yeah, having the laptop close to the pedal maybe one of the reasons we don't see laptops on stage very often yet. It would be nice to have a laptop clip to the mic stand, just like there are a few for iPads and iPhones. Or maybe a laptop stand itself. Anyone knows anything like that?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Craigv

View Post

Here's where you're SO wrong. Apple has managed to create a time app that runs on iPads and can slow time within a 500-foot radius. So any latency is automatically compensated for. Of course, this means the app is constantly chasing itself as the source material is probably within the affected radius. The result is that many shows actually end before they started. One might think this is a problem, but it means you can attend a concert, and if the musicians are using this app, you can actually leave at the end, and get a full refund for your unused ticket. The money you've saved can be put toward the iPhone 5 or the next iPad......rolleyes.gif

That is pure genius! wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mbarsott View Post
Nice suggestion... I don't know those pedals, I'll do some research on them.Yeah, having the laptop close to the pedal maybe one of the reasons we don't see laptops on stage very often yet. It would be nice to have a laptop clip to the mic stand, just like there are a few for iPads and iPhones. Or maybe a laptop stand itself. Anyone knows anything like that?

Might check these out since don't need a computer for stage use.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Craigv View Post
Didja hear about the heavy metal show at Great Adventure in NJ? Lead singer threw 3 mic stands into the crowd, injured two attendees, and faces assault and aggravated assault charges. Great Adventure said it was their first metal show.

And their last.

biggrin.gif

Metal as fu*k.

Totally_jammin_out.gif

lol

facepalm.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Rbts View Post
Here is a video of john Herington of Steely Dan using some little "rig" for his guitar effects. Apparently it is good enough for him? (Myself - I don't know much about these things.)

That's fine for doing demos and practice, but I would bet money that he does not use his iphone during a live performance.

But I think it's a good example of how the issues of latency can be easily mitigated.

As for stability/usability: I suspect electronic musicians or people in a slightly less mainstream genre would have more wiggle room with this than would, say, a top 40 cover band. Some audiences expect the performer to be fiddling with stuff on stage; others do not.

-Dan.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Rbts View Post
Here is a video of john Herington of Steely Dan using some little "rig" for his guitar effects. Apparently it is good enough for him? (Myself - I don't know much about these things.)

Yeah, iRig is from IK multimedia, the same manufactures of Amplitube. Actually I think you get an Amplitube for iPhone or one Amplitube for iPad when you buy an iRig, but quality and options are not the same as the fully fledged laptop version. The practical thing about iPads and iPhones is that they also sell a mic stand clip, so you have your gear right there at your fingertips, if you need to mess with any configuration. I've been thinking about where people would put their laptops and I wonder where Alex Lifeson keeps his during Rush presentations. Has anyone been to a Rush concert from the last tour?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by IsildursBane

View Post

That's fine for doing demos and practice, but I would bet money that he does not use his iphone during a live performance. -Dan.

I wondered when I watched it. But you are probably right.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mbarsott

View Post

Yeah, iRig is from IK multimedia, the same manufactures of Amplitube. Actually I think you get an Amplitube for iPhone or one Amplitube for iPad when you buy an iRig, but quality and options are not the same as the fully fledged laptop version. The practical thing about iPads and iPhones is that they also sell a mic stand clip, so you have your gear right there at your fingertips, if you need to mess with any configuration. I've been thinking about where people would put their laptops and I wonder where Alex Lifeson keeps his during Rush presentations. Has anyone been to a Rush concert from the last tour?

• Members

This is pretty awesome and educative. I watched that concert here in Sao Paulo, one of the best of my life. Time Machine will be hard beat! As for using a laptop, I heard he started using Guitar Rig on the latest tour, Angel's Clockwork.

• Members
This is pretty awesome and educative. I watched that concert here in Sao Paulo, one of the best of my life. Time Machine will be hard beat! As for using a laptop, I heard he started using Guitar Rig on the latest tour, Angel's Clockwork.
My guess if Alex is using Guitar Rig he probably has some kind of custom made rack style vst host like the Muse Receptor some KB players use, but a expensive solution compared to the amp sim pedals like the Vox and Line 6.

For me I think laptops are to fragile piece of gear for stage gear and as Age mentioned the connection cable are also fragile and would have to be careful not to step on it if you had your laptop close by.

• Members

This is one of the posts I saw about the subject... actually it is the cover of the this month issue, for non-believers. But yes, I guess that for a highly professional tour like Rush's, he certainly has a computer on the rack, a wi-fi transmitter to get the signal there, and a MIDI pedalboard controlling Guitar Rig. No visible USB cable you can mess with.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanMichael View Post
In the new Guitar Player it said Alex's rig is now his H&K amps, but all effects are an Axe-FX and he is using Guitar Rig 5 for some stuff live.

Interesting.

• Members
This is one of the posts I saw about the subject... actually it is the cover of the this month issue, for non-believers. But yes, I guess that for a highly professional tour like Rush's, he certainly has a computer on the rack, a wi-fi transmitter to get the signal there, and a MIDI pedalboard controlling Guitar Rig. No visible USB cable you can mess with.
Well I don't doubt it because Alex has the luxury and funds for a elaborate system, so a GR live stage system would be no probs for him.
I seen your other post and here's my suggestion which might and might not work.
Use some kind of 2 channel mobile audio interface and a some kind of midi foot controller for patch control.
IIRC unbalanced 1/4" instrument cable runs are good for 20ft max without RF inferences but not sure what the max distance is for a midi cable ?
That way you don't have the fragile connect cable in harms way and set up the laptop side of the stage near by and won't have the fraglie connection cable in harms way of stepping on.
Just keep in mind it may work just fine or may be a epic fail can't say for sure because never set up a system like that. I do old school with amp and mic for live.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by twostone View Post
Well I don't doubt it because Alex has the luxury and funds for a elaborate system, so a GR live stage system would be no probs for him.
I seen your other post and here's my suggestion which might and might not work.
Use some kind of 2 channel mobile audio interface and a some kind of midi foot controller for patch control.
IIRC unbalanced 1/4" instrument cable runs are good for 20ft max without RF inferences but not sure what the max distance is for a midi cable ?
That way you don't have the fragile connect cable in harms way and set up the laptop side of the stage near by and won't have the fraglie connection cable in harms way of stepping on.
Just keep in mind it may work just fine or may be a epic fail can't say for sure because never set up a system like that. I do old school with amp and mic for live.

Thank you for the suggestion. I guess that would be the best approach to keep the laptop safe. When I asked about the Stealthpedal and Guitar Kontrol on the Hi tech guitar forum, someone suggested that an audio interface with a midi pedalboard would actually be a better (and more expensive) option. Interesting thing is that I can run two HiZ instruments through the audio interface and have Amplitube handling bass and guitar effects. For now, the band is only me and my fiancee, so it is a small duo act, actually.

• CMS Author

Quote Originally Posted by mbarsott

View Post

I guess this SKB rack can help out with the laptop and USB cable fragility... has anyone tried it?

Not a big fan of rotomolded cases. I'm eyeing the laptop cleat system with suspicion. Would never, ever leave a laptop in a rack case like this. Trailers are absolutely not the environment for laptop storage, and the usual bangs and drops would defeat 95% of hard drives out there. The cleats look like they'd be more pita than useful, blocking either a port or your ability to type, not to mention the position would make it tough to reach for typing as well. I'd probably be happier simply hooking a security cable through the unit somewhere and placing it on top, and sitting with it in my lap to use most of the time.

Archived