Jump to content

Using a laptop for guitar effects


Recommended Posts

  • Members

I was curious about if pro guitar players use computer effects in live performances and how they do it. I use Amplitube, Guitar Rig, and a Cakewalk DAW scaled down version, Music Creator 6. I also checked out Amplitube official foot controller, Stealthpedal, and Guitar Rig controller, Guitar Kontrol 3. There is even an official video on YouTube about someone that acutally uses Guitar Rig Kontrol when playing live. Anyone else using any of these or some alternative? Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • CMS Author

 

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse

View Post

Maybe, but only if the platforms are stable... or at least more stable than the guitarists wink.gif

 

 

Quote Originally Posted by Mutha Goose

View Post

Oh I think the bar should be set a little higher than that smile.gif

 

This just might be the only comparison where a PC has a fighting chance!!!!!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger

View Post

I'll call BS on that - all A/D and D/A conversions and DSP processing introduces some latency.

 

That may be and just tossed it out there as another option for live virtual amp sims if a person owns a ipad.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • CMS Author

 

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse

View Post

As do I. The marketing folks are once again making promises they can't deliver even in theory

 

Here's where you're SO wrong. Apple has managed to create a time app that runs on iPads and can slow time within a 500-foot radius. So any latency is automatically compensated for. Of course, this means the app is constantly chasing itself as the source material is probably within the affected radius. The result is that many shows actually end before they started. One might think this is a problem, but it means you can attend a concert, and if the musicians are using this app, you can actually leave at the end, and get a full refund for your unused ticket. The money you've saved can be put toward the iPhone 5 or the next iPad......rolleyes.gif
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • CMS Author
Quote Originally Posted by lonotes View Post
This has been going on since way before the introduction of the iPad.
Didja hear about the heavy metal show at Great Adventure in NJ? Lead singer threw 3 mic stands into the crowd, injured two attendees, and faces assault and aggravated assault charges. Great Adventure said it was their first metal show.

And their last.

biggrin.gif
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Quote Originally Posted by Craigv

View Post

Here's where you're SO wrong. Apple has managed to create a time app that runs on iPads and can slow time within a 500-foot radius. So any latency is automatically compensated for. Of course, this means the app is constantly chasing itself as the source material is probably within the affected radius. The result is that many shows actually end before they started. One might think this is a problem, but it means you can attend a concert, and if the musicians are using this app, you can actually leave at the end, and get a full refund for your unused ticket. The money you've saved can be put toward the iPhone 5 or the next iPad......rolleyes.gif

 

Too bad Disaster Area didn't use these.poke.gifwave.gif
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by mbarsott View Post
Ok, I got it! It cannot be done. Thanks, anyway.
I don't buy that it can't be done not when you got guys doing live product demonstrations at NAMM using virtual amp plugins.

The real question is it practical method for live sound? for some it not a option they wanna risk nor use because their ass is on the line.
But for small time bar band that has way more forgiving crowd they can apologize to for the technical difficulties it can be a option
if you wanna take the risk of having a problem.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by mbarsott View Post
Ok, I got it! It cannot be done. Thanks, anyway.
Sure, it actually can be done. In fact, it is done all the time using general purpose processors like your laptop or countless dsp devices out there. Now as-mentioned-here: stuff like doing it with zero latency it pure marketing fantasy.

Doing it with acceptably imperceptible latency may be possible, depending on your needs and tools.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

facepalm.gif

 

Quote Originally Posted by Craigv

View Post

Here's where you're SO wrong. Apple has managed to create a time app that runs on iPads and can slow time within a 500-foot radius. So any latency is automatically compensated for. Of course, this means the app is constantly chasing itself as the source material is probably within the affected radius. The result is that many shows actually end before they started. One might think this is a problem, but it means you can attend a concert, and if the musicians are using this app, you can actually leave at the end, and get a full refund for your unused ticket. The money you've saved can be put toward the iPhone 5 or the next iPad......rolleyes.gif

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Doing it without glitches, freezes, and oopses may be another issue...

Quote Originally Posted by soul-x View Post
Sure, it actually can be done. In fact, it is done all the time using general purpose processors like your laptop or countless dsp devices out there. Now as-mentioned-here: stuff like doing it with zero latency it pure marketing fantasy.

Doing it with acceptably imperceptible latency may be possible, depending on your needs and tools.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by twostone View Post
I don't buy that it can't be done not when you got guys doing live product demonstrations at NAMM using virtual amp plugins.

The real question is it practical method for live sound? for some it not a option they wanna risk nor use because their ass is on the line.
But for small time bar band that has way more forgiving crowd they can apologize to for the technical difficulties it can be a option
if you wanna take the risk of having a problem.
Pretty cool... Ampeg is Amplitube bass amp, right? I wonder if they were using the Stealthpedal for that live presentation.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by soul-x View Post
Sure, it actually can be done. In fact, it is done all the time using general purpose processors like your laptop or countless dsp devices out there. Now as-mentioned-here: stuff like doing it with zero latency it pure marketing fantasy.

Doing it with acceptably imperceptible latency may be possible, depending on your needs and tools.
I've been using Guitar Rig and Amplitube standalone versions without any freeze or even clips, but something goes wrong with my Asio4All driver with my internal soundcard that makes some noise creep in after playing for about 10 minutes. I am thinking about getting the Stealthpedal, because it would be like using an external soundcard with its own native Asio driver. Latencies of up to 30 ms are acceptable for me. I will mess the song timing more than that for sure. I've seen people reporting latencies well under 10ms, even 4 ms, so I guess the latency is not as much of a trouble these days as stability and sound quality.

PS. of course a lot of measures need to be taken in order for these things work right... I disable the sound card (yes, the driver can see it and use it, but Windows cannot), disable Windows sounds, disable network cards and interfaces, power management... in other words, I make the PC a dedicated sound processing unit as much as possible.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...