DRUM MICING

• Members

I AM MICING MY DRUM KIT, NOT TOO MUCH EXP. ON THE AUDIO END OF IT THOUGH. I HAVE A PEAVY PV14 PASSIVE MIXER, PEAVY 115D PWRD SPEAKER,BEHRINGER B215D SPEAKER, 1200 WATT PWRD SUB, WHAT WOULD BE BEST WAY TO HOOK UP AND HOW!! WOULD LIKE TO USE 1 SPEAKER FOR A MONITOR. THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

• Members

Is there anything else that is going into this system? Is there just one of each speaker or do you have one pair of each? That board only has 10 total inputs, so if you're putting more than just the drums in, it would probably be best to only mic 4 things, the kick, snare, and one or two overheads. You may not need to mic your kit at all.

• Members

For the size rooms you can do with your system, you could easily get away with just mic'ing the kick and 2 overheads. In fact, that would be a very good place for you to start.

Listen to Mutha. Good advice.

• Members

For the size rooms you can do with your system, you could easily get away with just mic'ing the kick and 2 overheads. In fact, that would be a very good place for you to start.

^

This

Just keep in mind your mixer only has 1 send for monitoring which you'll have to share the whole monitor mix with the band and most folks tend to like their own personal monitor and mix.

• Members

true, although I always like to mic the snare a little to warm it up with a little reverb.

• Members

If just using an overhead and kick mic I'll put a fair amount on 'verb on the OH and it usually gets plenty of snare.

My thoughts as well. If anything, I like to mute and deaden the snare to keep it from overwhelming the mix in smaller venues. Cymbals can have the same problem.

I have noticed that some drummers think they need "their sound" with a small sharp, and way too loud snare much like a lead guitar player can only get "their sound" with a Marshal JCM900 on 10.

I have had very successful nights with ONLY the kick mic'ed. If anything, the overheads might be nice if you could zero out the HF to avoid re-amplifying the cymbals (which are likely going to be too loud already), but still get some tom work out into the mains.

• Members

OP you haven't said how you will do a room with just one FOH speaker. Is this for a rehearsal space?

I would agree that a kick and two, maybe even one overhead would be the way to go. I often just use one overhead and a kick to mic the drums. It often works out better than using a whole bunch of cheap mics.

If you're doing this just for fun, and you want to use all six of your CAD mics, then you'll either need mic stands or clip ons for each mic (you'll need stands for the overheads). You could use the overheads to catch the cymbals, hi hats and maybe snare. Use one of the mics for the kick, maybe let the rack toms share a mic, and use a mic each for the floor toms - unless you don't really use one, or the snare isn't coming thruogh with just the overheads. I would let a floor tom go and cover the snare myself.

As you can see to close mic the drums properly you might need more mics and more is NOT always better. For instance on many gigs I see: 2 overheads, 1 hi hat, 1 snare, 4 toms, and 1 kick - and most of those mics are expensive compared to what you have. But very often at reasonable volumes you can achieve good or better results by just letting the drum kit "mix itself" by using two overheads and a kick mic - which is right back where we started re:Mutha's post.

• Members

You can also use pair of "underheads"., where you use Small-diameter condensers placed lower than the cymbals, but still not close mic'ing the drums.

My favorite is still a mic aimed down at the main kick knee, and then a mic inside the kick. Aiming it straight down at the knee essentially means you are aiming at the dead center of the kit. Think about it - it's right in the middle of the snare and toms. I just leave the lows and highs alone normally, and I will roll out mids around 750hz or so.

Archived