Best music recording you've NEVER heard?

Vito Corleone

• Members

I've never been a big fan of either band... but if you classify the Allman Brothers as a "jam band" (and some people do), then I can't really say I don't like jam bands, because I'm definitely an Allman Brothers fan.

They just get lumped in with them, but really aren't, I don't think. If they're a jam band, then so are Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Outlaws and Molly Hatchet. Then we throw in Led Zeppelin, who launch into improvisations for long periods of time....and half the bands suddenly are jam bands...

• Members
Yeah' date=' if the criteria is nothing more than long solos and jamming, then Cream was a jam band. :idk:[/quote']

Yeah.

In general, I don't get too excited about most bands that are labeled as "jam bands". The Grateful Dead, which appears to have served as a blueprint of sorts of this sort of thing, is a band that I like, but don't get too worked up about.

OTOH, some of their acoustic side projects, which often tend to be more folk in nature, are things that I often really enjoy.

• Members
I've never been a big fan of either band... but if you classify the Allman Brothers as a "jam band" (and some people do)' date=' then I can't really say I don't like jam bands, because I'm definitely an Allman Brothers fan.[/quote']

I like the Allman Brothers too… I hear melodies in their music. Rush and Grateful Dead…. not so.

• Members

I've never gotten the Rush obsession either. Like you, I admire their individual musicianship, but so much of it has always sounded like overplaying to compensate for weak songwriting to me.

Having said that, they did manage a few good songs. "Limelight" and "Spirit of the Radio" deserve to be considered classic rock songs with good melodies. And the instrumental piece "YYZ" is a good showcase for their playing abilities while managing to avoid having any annoying Geddy Lee vocals. So it is quite listenable, IMO.

And they deserve some kudos for keeping the band together for 40 some years now.

I never cared much for Grateful Dead either, but they managed a few good songs as well. Uncle John's Band, Friend of the Devil and Casey Jones are solid songs.

I developed a much better appreciation for their music with the release of the "Deadicated" tribute album in the early 90s. Warren Zevon, Indigo Girls, Elvis Costello, Lyle Lovett, Dwight Yoakam, Dr, John, Suzanne Vega and many others. Nice renditions on that one.

• Members
I've never gotten the Rush obsession either. Like you, I admire their individual musicianship, but so much of it has always sounded like overplaying to compensate for weak songwriting to me.

Their guitarist has a godawful tone.

They often don't have memorable melodies.

The drummer doesn't groove and plays really busy.

The vocalist doesn't have a very good voice and early vocals are often shrill.

The bass playing is often really busy.

They have lyrics such as:

"In the constellation of Cygnus, there lurks a mysterious, invisible force: the black hole

of Cygnus X-1..."

or

"There is unrest in the forest

There is trouble with the trees

For the maples want more sunlight

And the oaks ignore their pleas"

And yet, for whatever reason, I like them.

I don't know why. I've never figured that out, and don't usually try.

• Moderators
I've never heard a complete Grateful Dead album. I've heard tracks, but never a complete album. Never got on that train at all. Just never connected with their sound or compositions. And I generally love long jams and improvisations. Odd. Never bought any of their records or was interested in seeing them live. They've always been dead to me I guess.
Yep. The little I hear I just can't hang with so really don't know. But... wow. The stuff I've heard. All due respect but, no thanks.

• Members
Yep. The little I hear I just can't hang with so really don't know. But... wow. The stuff I've heard. All due respect but, no thanks.

Same here basically but for a couple of things - I do like A Friend of the Devil is a Friend of Mine (or the real title if that's not it), and

I never could warm up to Garcia's lead style very much, but I think the basic problem is that he is a bluegrass picker at heart and not an electric hippie lead player. He's got no "sing" in his leads to speak of but a lot of pecking and staccato-ish noodling. In an acoustic context, I think it makes for pleasant Americana-type listening. But the mismatched and sloppy vocal harmonies always were a deal-stopper for me with the Dead. Pretty good songwriters, but those songs deserve a better setting IMHO. Maybe not so H, but just IMO.

I do like that bass player, 'tho - if I listen mostly to him I can get through their material a lot easier.

nat whilk ii

• Members

You like 'em cuz they freakin' rock. While I'm not a fanatic fan, I've always admired the fact that their concert performances remain true to the records. That's a rare gift when you think about it. They don't feel compelled to do different arrangements or changeups to satisfy their artistic needs for growth. The write new songs and make new records to feed those appetites. They realize guys come to their shows to hear the songs they love, and they give them that.

Archived