Don Boomer or other Line 6 users---------a question

• Members

Now have a pair of XD V55's, so far quite impressed. Read in the Line 6 website that they can accept other mic capsules. So far have only found a capsule for the Heil PR35 that is compatible. Any other makers I'm just not finding? Best I can determine, Senns capsules are only for their own mics. And another question, would there be a problem running V55's and V75's on the same stage? Just came up with another question, If I found a capsule for a Shure I liked, would it also fit a Line 6?

• Members

Shure and Heil capsules are compatible. Audix will work too, but is not officially endorsed and is a bit of the PITA to do requiring an adapter ring from RAT sound, which on it's own doesn't work, so some additional MacGyvering is needed. I already owned Audix capsules so it was worth it to me. It's a bit of trial and error, so If you don't own Audix capsules then it's not worth the hassle. I do feel a bit fancy being the only guy in the world using Audix capsules with Line 6 wireless microphones.

Yes, 55's and 75's can be used together. In fact 50's, 70's will work with 55's and 75's, you just have to change the the transmission type on the "5" models to be compatible with the "0" models.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by abzurd View Post
Shure and Heil capsules are compatible. Audix will work too, but is not officially endorsed and is a bit of the PITA to do requiring an adapter ring from RAT sound, which on it's own doesn't work, so some additional MacGyvering is needed. I already owned Audix capsules so it was worth it to me. It's a bit of trial and error, so If you don't own Audix capsules then it's not worth the hassle. I do feel a bit fancy being the only guy in the world using Audix capsules with Line 6 wireless microphones.

Yes, 55's and 75's can be used together. In fact 50's, 70's will work with 55's and 75's, you just have to change the the transmission type on the "5" models to be compatible with the "0" models.
If using a custom capsule, does it matter what the mic is set to in regards to the modeling menu?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rodclement View Post
I used an SM-58 capsule on my V-70 and it worked great! But honestly...it does not sound better (to my ears) than the emulation built in to the Line 6 unit itself so I can't see any benefits brought by the extra expense.

Rod
I was thinking along the lines of a Heil PR35 or Telefunken M80 capsule.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rodclement View Post
I used an SM-58 capsule on my V-70 and it worked great! But honestly...it does not sound better (to my ears) than the emulation built in to the Line 6 unit itself so I can't see any benefits brought by the extra expense.

Rod
As the emulation is primarily, and maybe only, an EQ curve, it can't account for proximity to the capsule and the pickup pattern characteristics of the "real" microphone. For many this is good enough. If, on the other hand, you're looking for other characteristics there's no substitute for the real thing. For instance, the OM5 setting sounds similar, but the isolation of the OM5 is much better. As far as picking an emulation, you shouldn't really worry about which model you're choosing but rather listen and use the one that works best for that particular vocal.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by abzurd

View Post

As the emulation is primarily, and maybe only, an EQ curve, it can't account for proximity to the capsule and the pickup pattern characteristics of the "real" microphone. For many this is good enough. If, on the other hand, you're looking for other characteristics there's no substitute for the real thing. For instance, the OM5 setting sounds similar, but the isolation of the OM5 is much better. As far as picking an emulation, you shouldn't really worry about which model you're choosing but rather listen and use the one that works best for that particular vocal.

And this is a good point as the Line 6 custom setting is totally different than the other available models. Didn't play with that model much as I like the 835 setting. I'm sure I'll get back to it eventually.

• Members

I actually preferred the Line 6 setting for my voice, but did not care for it when using as the "toasting" microphone. I suspect the elevated high end cuts through the proximity effect when right up on it, but when you're holding it somewhere around your waist as most toasters do, it's too tinny.

• Members

Hi Don,

Your inbox is full up again so I haven't been able to send you another reply in regards to our PM's.

Thanks for your assistance. I ended up getting 1 x XD-V55L system from a music retailer here in Australia (Allan's Billy Hyde) for $360AUD. They are usually $499 but the company has recently gone into receivership so they were having a big stock sale.

I contacted MusicCorp but they said that MusicLink is the distributor in Australia. Unfortunately MusicLink is part of the company that has gone into receivership (Australian Music Group) and no resellers are able to get any information on pricing for the V55-HXTX (or any accessories for that matter).

Does Line6 have any plans regarding their Australian distributor and any ideas on how I can get pricing on some of the accessories?

Cheers, Matt.

Archived