Least expensive RELIABLE direct box

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by abzurd

View Post

Can't really go wrong with the EWI's. Decent components, built well and won't break the bank. It's all I've used for years. - http://www.audiopile.net/products/DI...DI_Boxes.shtml . The prices are without shipping, but if you need more cables or any other various audio do-dads Mark sells you can make the most of it.

EWI from www.audiopile.net is all I use. Been great.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Miko Man

View Post

Just saying, but the EWI and that Whirlwind DI have a lot of external similarities.... Mark C.

OMG - Um - yea - you are right there. Even the "Made In Korea" part looks - well - identical. Fricken hilarious. I would say - generally - that probably either would probably work out?? (I am betting - but certinally don't know - that they have a lot of "internal similiarites" too?)

• Members

FWIW Over the years, I have bought and used several EWI products (including DIs) from audiopile.net with ZERO problems. I have a friend that bought several of their DIs as well. In his application they have been used INDUSTRIALY for a couple of years. Again, with zero problems. The price is right and you can't beat long term experiance to expose a products attributes (or problems). I would buy again without hesitation.

my .02

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Miko Man

View Post

It might explain why those two are the ones mentioned by forumites in response to your question. I haven't compared the internals, so I can't say for sure, but I strongly suspect they are very similar. Mark C.

No they are not close. Whirlwind uses their own high quality transformers(or Jenson). I'm not saying the EWI is not a good value, they are just not the same product as the Whirlwind.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sibyrnes View Post
Oh yeah, they charge extra for the Jensons.
You think? wink.gif

The difference in cost is substantial, the difference in sound quality generally is not except sometimes in the very low bass at very high signal levels.

The cost factor alone does not fit the OP's requirement.

• Members

I prefer the Rapco DI101's for singles and the EWI stereo passive for 2 channel. The whirlwind IMP2 is also nice, and it's behringer copy is decent too. Overall I like the sound of the Rapcos the best, I can't tell you why though. Also the rapco is the easiest to use. Actually the IMP2 is the easiest.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
You think? wink.gif

The difference in cost is substantial, the difference in sound quality generally is not except sometimes in the very low bass at very high signal levels.

The cost factor alone does not fit the OP's requirement.
I agree. I was just pointing out that it is a different product than the EWI units.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sibyrnes View Post
No they are not close. Whirlwind uses their own high quality transformers(or Jenson). I'm not saying the EWI is not a good value, they are just not the same product as the Whirlwind.
I think it is quite likely that they are exactly the same box.
The Whirlwind web site describes each DI box they sell including listing what transformer is used. Example "Uses Whirlwind's TRHL transformer" (IMP2) or "Our top-of-the-line passive DI features the Jensen JT-DB-EPC transformer - world renown for wide frequency response and superior noise rejection characteristics." Direct JT

This is true of every passive DI they sell except the EDB1 That one says "Metal construction and quality transformer"

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sibyrnes

View Post

I agree. I was just pointing out that it is a different product than the EWI units.

My comments were only intended to note the apparent similarities between the EWI model FDB-101 and the Whirlwind model EDB1. Both EWI and Whirlwind sell a variety of direct boxes with various attributes and features. Mark C.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by fdew View Post
I think it is quite likely that they are exactly the same box.
The Whirlwind web site describes each DI box they sell including listing what transformer is used. Example "Uses Whirlwind's TRHL transformer" (IMP2) or "Our top-of-the-line passive DI features the Jensen JT-DB-EPC transformer - world renown for wide frequency response and superior noise rejection characteristics." Direct JT

This is true of every passive DI they sell except the EDB1 That one says "Metal construction and quality transformer"
You could be right. I mistakenly thought we were talking about the IMP 2 and the other American made Whirlwinds. I keep forgetting that Whirlwind has a cheap, imported line too.

Archived