ELX112P Failure

• Members

Ok, the dew has fallen off the lily - one of my pair of EV ELX112P speakers has experienced a failure. Symptom: after 10-15s of operation, the LF driver stops putting out sound. The HF continues to work without issue. No fault indications, just no LF. If you power cycle the unit, the symptoms repeat.

Grrrr.

E-mail already sent to EV to request an RMA.

• Members

Sometimes this kind of one-off thing happens. Doesn't matter the brand BUT the lower the level of product the more likely that a problem will be systemic, or related to design and manufacturing issues rather than a rare and random happening. Let's hope this is the case (I'm pretty confident it is).

• Members

Would appreciate giving us a progress report on EV warranty claim service which lets folks know how well EV warranty claim service is.
I own EV SXA gear which never had any problems with but just like to know how well EV handles their warranty claims.
Since a forum member here posted about his snail's pace experience with JBL warranty claim service.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jack keaton

View Post

ive had more JBL / Crown gear fail on me than my behringer gear. I know its just bad luck and I would gladly purchase more gear from jbl / Crown.

I've had more failures from Peavey gear than Behringer gear. Oh, and Peavey's warranty support sucks ass.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarman3001 View Post
I've had more failures from Peavey gear than Behringer gear. Oh, and Peavey's warranty support sucks ass.
The one time I had to send something back to Behringer, it was a Xenyx 802 that failed on me. Got it back I under a week..

Quote Originally Posted by jack keaton View Post
I run a all peavey system qw4 over versarray subs and peavey cs amps.
I love that system. But on the other hand I've used low level peavey gear and
it failed me (mostly due to me pushing it to hard, clearly not enough rig.
That's the main reason for legit failure. If a speakers used right, it shouldn't fail. Clipping or anything of the like is a poor excuse for failure. But amp modules failing is a whole mother story.

• Members

Quick update: Two days after my initial e-mail, I got a response from an EV customer service rep with instructions to fill out and return an attached RMA form for authorization return. It also included info on where to ship the speaker for repair. I filled out the form and sent it back to get the RMA, but I did ask if it is possible to just send in the amp module. Shipping the whole cab would, of course, be kind of pricey, so I hope they will work with me.

• Members

Good luck...my experience getting a EV SXa250 serviced took forever.
Close to 3-months for a replacement amp module, by the time I got the speaker back I had already replaced it with another cabinet.
The SXa250 has sat in my office since it was returned to me over 2-years ago collecting dust.

• Members

I have dealt with EV warranty service. They were pretty good at getting back to me. Especially after a long weekend. The service was minor and I actually found out the trouble was user error to begin with. duh. I love these speakers. They really come close and compliment our QSC's side by side as an array. They even handled the kick drum real well at a gig. Forgot our cables to use the Xover section of the subs to our amp and the ELX 112's really held up well. Duh! facepalm.gif

• Members

EV said no-go on sending just the amp module, but they did give me the info on two authorized repair centers here in FL that are each about a 2 hour drive away. Once I have the time and $ to ship this thing, it will be off for repairs.

• Members

OtOH, When I emailed JBL with ?'s about a product discontinued 2 gens back which I bought 2nd hand already broken, they didn't email me back, a rep called me early next day and spent 45mins chatting and answering allmthe JBL questions I could come up with. Not that I expect that much of their time but it was better then the EV emails being ignored.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Ok, resurrecting this thread from the dead, just to give a follow-up just in case some of you are concerned about the reliability of the ELX series.

So, long story short, I shipped the failed speaker to EV on 12/6. Got the repaired speaker today (12/28). The repaired speaker tests out fine during some quick bench tests here at the house. I will try to get the repaired speaker and its mate out on a gig soon to test further. As per the repair tag, they replaced the amp module and tested everything thoroughly.

One interesting tidbit, though. These speakers were purchased from a local sound company which I work with on occasion and cross-rent gear. They are EV dealers. The dealer bought them new to test their viability as drum monitors and then sold them to me as B stock, with full factory warranty. What I did not know, and my dealer sheepishly admitted he forgot to tell me, is that one of these two ELX 112Ps had been in for amp replacement previously after their test as a drum monitor (a task for which this model proved not well suited). I suspect - based on cosmetic evidence and pure speculation on my part - that EV may have had a bad batch of amps and my failed unit was the one of my pair that had not been sent for repair previously.

My $0.02 on the ELX112P:

- I like these speakers. They sound good, are light, and have flexible connection options.
- It may be a while before I run these on larger gigs without having my HPR122s either in the car or nearby, just in case. My confidence in the two units I have is slightly shaken. More bench testing and some small gigs may restore that.
- EV repairs their stuff pretty quickly and easily with turnaround in 3-4 weeks in this case.
- It may behoove me to have a another lightweight pair of powered cabs to use as mains or wedges, which helps me justify my bad case of GAS. I am totally p---ed off that I missed great deals on both the SxA 250s and Impulse 12D speakers in the last month. Grrrr.

Archived