This is a hoot: What A Sound Engineer Really Does

• Members
With Sinatra it was probably just put up the mic' date=' get levels, hit record, and get out of the way[/i']... ;)

Yes, but they had to mic a whole orchestra and I don't know how many tracks they would have had to work with so there was probably more of a "get it right the first time" thing going on.

That was recorded in April and May of 1965 when Frank was on Reprise, so I seriously doubt the Capitol studios were used, but I really don't know for sure. It kind of looks like Western Studio 1 (later Cello, and now EastWest), but you never really get a clear enough view to tell for certain. The album it was on (September of My Years) was recorded "in Hollywood" according to Wiki. That leaves open other studio possibilities, but since Sinatra was known to use United / Western a lot, I suspect that's where it was waxed. In that era they were using a 3M four-track which was eventually modified to 8 tracks, so it could have been either a four or eight track recording. For more info on United / Western from someone who worked there at the time, check out this link:

http://precambrianmusic.com/history1.htm

Even if it was "only" a four track recording, that leaves a reasonable amount of flexibility; typically you'd track the orchestra in stereo, leaving a dedicated track for the vocalist, and maybe one for an instrumental soloist or other needs. A Decca tree recording conceivably could have been sent to three of the four tracks, or summed to a stereo and printed on two tracks. Same with a multi-mic setup that utilized a two-mic stereo or Decca tree array along with close or "spot" mics. Pre-mixing as you went along was pretty common back then, and you're correct - when you do that, you do have to "get it right" when you're recording; fixing it later isn't an option.

Miking up an orchestra isn't a simple task, but at the basic level it's not all that difficult, and back then engineers had a lot more practice at it. There was more opportunity to do it than there is today, since back then that was the only way to get strings and so forth on a record. Today it's just as likely to be done with samples - at least on pop music.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived