Original Bands and Musicians: Are You Out There?

David Himes

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here is a video of one of our singles titled "Can't Take That Away". It is only a cell phone video, so obviously the quality is lacking, but you can at least get the idea. This song has recieved quite a bit of local radio play. I will also include the reverb page that has several of our songs off the new CD if you are interested in checking those out as well. It is country...... I would appreciate the feedback ! Thank you

• Members

Hope everyone has had a wonderful Holiday. That said, I will leave Dunedin and Guido to argue about what constitutes success..while I have to add what a wise man once said "He who knows,does not talk. He who talks, does not know". In all of my experience, the truth of what any bizness works has a great value...not many people will speak of what you need to do,specifically, to get ahead. I,myself, don't subscribe to all the pettiness...but I have to be honest and admit..that in the music biszess, there is alot of it. Back OT: I feel both Guido or Dunedin tack to extremes in their evaluation of the music biz, and what it takes to "break" original music: I myself, feel ageism is over appreciatted in their analysis. Certainly, if you've got the stuff...age is not going to stop you. How old is PitBull? How old is the singer in Train? How old is Butch Walker? (Ooops he is to bizy producing Pink,Ryan Adams,Taylor Swift and whoever is molten hot right now...) So..I don't think age is the critical factor. None of those people are teens. And while Guido may say they broke thru when younger..the fact is: they continue to sell in a market that churns and burns every 24 hours. If you don't have something to offer..it doesn't matter what you did yesterday..or 8 years ago. But I agree with Paying your dues...but let me put it this way: Its great to experiment with a live audience because you can figure out what's working and what's not.....if you record everything in cans and never "bounce it off" anyone..what are the chances anyone will "get it"?....Not good odds. Have a great Holiday:be hopeful...If your download rocks..I will buy it,rest assured. I am not alone,in this, I feel.

• Members
I myself, feel ageism is over appreciatted in their analysis. Certainly, if you've got the stuff...age is not going to stop you. How old is PitBull? How old is the singer in Train? How old is Butch Walker? (Ooops he is to bizy producing Pink,Ryan Adams,Taylor Swift and whoever is molten hot right now...) So..I don't think age is the critical factor. None of those people are teens. And while Guido may say they broke thru when younger..the fact is: they continue to sell in a market that churns and burns every 24 hours. If you don't have something to offer..it doesn't matter what you did yesterday..or 8 years ago. .

Sure, those older artists have to keep proving themselves every time out. No doubt about that. But to continue to sell and breaking through for the first time are two completely different things. It's always going to be easier for a label or radio station or whoever to be interested in your new material if you are already a name entity going into it.

You can tell me I'm wrong all you like---and I wish I was too---but the facts are what they are. How many artists can you name that got their first record deal or otherwise broke through in the music business for the first time after the age of 40? It just doesn't happen.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't keep working on your original material and recording it and performing it and doing whatever else with it that makes you feel good. I'm just saying to simply have reasonable expectations. And if you don't have a big hit single with that song you wrote and recorded when you were 42, don't blame that on the modern state of the music industry. It's ALWAYS been that way.

BTW---singer in Train signed a record deal and had his first hit when he was 29. PitBull had his first hit when he was 23.

• Members

Susan Boyle was 49 when she "made it". But she's hardly typical. I'm 41. I know darn well that even if I start writing the best songs in the world and performing them like an A-lister that the best I could hope for is some fame in bars for a 60 mile radius.

If you're over 40 and want to "make it" in the originals scene -- become a song writer. You'll make more money, too.

Wes

• CMS Author
Here is a video of one of our singles titled "Can't Take That Away". It is only a cell phone video, so obviously the quality is lacking, but you can at least get the idea. This song has recieved quite a bit of local radio play. I will also include the reverb page that has several of our songs off the new CD if you are interested in checking those out as well. It is country...... I would appreciate the feedback ! Thank you

www.reverbnation.com/exitwestband

Looks like you're doing something right. Good crowd and good response, well-written and catchy tune. Looks like you have a decent following.

However, I didn't see a banner. Read my HC debut of 'The Gig Kahuna,' which addresses this very subject.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/articl...ce-of-a-banner

Read my other columns as well, and check out my book.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KKF9Z2O

Let's work on KEEPING you on the right track!

Also, if you're getting airplay, I hope you realize the importance of maintaining the relationship with that station. Very valuable ace up your sleeve. :)

• Members

Thank you David. Actually, there is a banner all along the bottom of the stage.... but it is hard to see in the dark video. We have developed a pretty decent following and it has been great. We are very fortunate to have some of the local stations play some of our songs. I have had friends send me messages saying they just heard one of our songs on the radio. It is very cool. Glad you liked our song by the way !

• Members

Anyway, 2 members had to leave for whatever reason, so instead of replacing them and being the same band, they formed a new band, and came up with 45 minutes of new material to kick things off at a local Boxing Day party at one of the venues I provide sound for. They have a pretty good name locally so the gig was a blowout. $5 cover charge and they made out like bandits. The new stuff was fun, almost a weezer kinda feel. They ended the night with a sweet cover of Rebel Yell. Wut??? Haha yeah it was sweet :)

• Members

First gig with my new original band on 2/13 at my hometown bar -- playing it safe, 40 minute set, nothing outlandish and just trying to get our feet wet and make some new fans. The band is established, but I'm the new guy and am well-known in my area, so it's a good chance to get some new people to check it all out. I'm stoked!

Original music just provides more of a reward to me as a musician. I love doing cover stuff and getting paid, but I personally feel more of a reward when people like a song they've never heard that I helped write. Just my two cents.

• 2 weeks later...
  • CMS Author
Thank you David. Actually, there is a banner all along the bottom of the stage.... but it is hard to see in the dark video. We have developed a pretty decent following and it has been great. We are very fortunate to have some of the local stations play some of our songs. I have had friends send me messages saying they just heard one of our songs on the radio. It is very cool. Glad you liked our song by the way !

You really should have your banner on the wall behind the drummer so everyone can see it.

• CMS Author
Here's a group of kids from town. They all live in the big city now. They were once a group called White Beauty. They went at it pretty good in the city scene, and cut an album. I liked their sound, almost a 50's vibe...

Is this band still together? If yes, I could see them going places if they play their cards right. If no, what a shame!

• CMS Author
Anyway, 2 members had to leave for whatever reason, so instead of replacing them and being the same band, they formed a new band, and came up with 45 minutes of new material to kick things off at a local Boxing Day party at one of the venues I provide sound for. They have a pretty good name locally so the gig was a blowout. $5 cover charge and they made out like bandits. The new stuff was fun, almost a weezer kinda feel. They ended the night with a sweet cover of Rebel Yell. Wut??? Haha yeah it was sweet :)

Cool, but no banner! Read my HC debut of 'The Gig Kahuna,' which addresses this very subject.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/articl...ce-of-a-banner

Read my other columns as well, and check out my book.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KKF9Z2O

Archived