Never play for free. Played for free this weekend, fun Halloween gig.

StratGuy22

• Members

One of my best friends (friends since we were 2, best man at my wedding etc) asked if I was up to anything this weekend. I thought we were going to have a Halloween gig, but it didn't pan out. So I mentioned that I didn't have anything going on. 0CF93129-51CE-43A7-8EF6-FE3D631752EF.jpg He mentioned that he was going to have a small party on Nov 1 and was wondering if I or anyone in my band was interested in coming to jam. He plays some guitar and his wife sings. He's got a nice little acreage (55 acres) and a big shop with a small house area built into it. 793C8E32-021C-4EEB-8681-9A11CF253A1A.jpg It's passively heated, there's no furnace in the building. The walls are 24" thick, special triple pane glass from Germany, etc, it has a true R72 insulation rating. They are looking into solar to become a net-zero home. But anyway, the shop area is 33'x60'x16'. I helped him pick out a small PA to do some jamming there. Basically a small 8 channel Mackie mixer (4 XLR, 2 stereo pairs), a pair of YX15's for mains, a pair of YX12's for monitors and a power amp. They run the FOH off one side and the monitors on the same mic from the other side. Couple 58's and he's good to go. 0CF93129-51CE-43A7-8EF6-FE3D631752EF.jpg He's a carpenter by trade and builds houses, anyway he sends me a pic of the stage area he's built, after asking me what size would work out well. I mentioned 10'x16' would be a good size and that worked for him. Here's the pic with his gear on it. A11C34CC-CB04-4863-8E91-A549419E1B4C.jpg I said "wow that looks great" and I have my old home made lights sitting in their box in my garage taking up space, along with some old antenna style truss that I've replaced with proper trussing. So I said hey I have the perfect light setup for you. It's nothing fancy but would be perfect. So I loaded it into my trailer along with the rest of my rig. I had suggested me loading in my full meal deal and doing it up whole hog. He wanted more to see what he could do with what he had, and to see where to go from there. 0CF93129-51CE-43A7-8EF6-FE3D631752EF.jpg So we brought in the lights, and set them up. I convinced him that we should use at least one sub. Then I also put up a third mic as well. When it was all said and done it looked and sounded pretty good! 61E8EE0D-D19D-4C98-BACF-7BBF0A34A687.jpg I put up a couple blizzard hot boxes to light the band. They were set to slow fades between different colors. 76BB00F3-2BED-4486-8C64-A40F65286DDD.jpg So we put a mic on the kick, 3 vocals, and his acoustic straight in. It worked out great. Another trio showed up, they needed 6 inputs. 3 vocals and 3 DI's. when I explained what was what, they ended up keeping it simple and played their set acoustically. There were only about 20 people there so it still worked out. So he now knows he needs a bit bigger board, a sub, and another power amp, and a 31 band EQ or two. Luckily the mixer and outboard gear are going for a song on craigslist these days. Other than that it was a great night. Bass and my guitar went un-mic'd. It was a small room so we weren't crazy lout. It was a great time! They got up and played a few, others joined us for different songs, some karaoke, just a good time among friends. 0CF93129-51CE-43A7-8EF6-FE3D631752EF.jpg Next year they are hoping it will be bigger, word will get out, so looking forward to it. Also, now he has it set up, and can leave it set up for small jams etc as well.

• Members

Two people also means more expenses. Not the least of which is kids. OTHO, I'm pretty convinced I make more money being married than I would being single due to the support and encouragement of my wife and the desire to provide for a family.

If I lived alone, I'd probably just make sure I had enough for beer money on the weekends.

Archived