How to setup a harmonizer with backing tracks ???

Rumorsband

• Members

I use a TC Helicon Voice Live Touch in a live application. Current configuration. Plug mic in - out to PA and use some harmonies here and there. I know it can do much more and can auto tune if I plug in the various keys to all our songs but that is unrealistic for live. We play to mp3 backing tracks. I know if I played guitar and plugged in then it would recognize my chords and harmonies and pitch correction would be based off that - would the same be true if I plugged my mp3's into the TC? If so where? Would I plug into the guitar in and thru out to my board? Would I use the aux in? I know that is for mp'3 but I'm not sure its routed through the unit to identify the keys of the songs. Thanks in advance - I always get great information here.

• Members

As I understand it, the default setting is if a guitar is plugged in (not just through) the harmonies key will be based on that, if there is no guitar or it is "through" then any BTs played into the device via the Aux in will be used for the key and finally if neither guitar nor BT is detected then the built in room live mikes will listen for any music playing and use that for harmony keys. The latter being the least accurate. You can of course go into settings and either confirm or change these priorities.

• Members

That's what I'm unsure of ... If I could plug the mp3 into the aux and it will recognize the key then I should be all set. If that doesn't work I thought I thought I would take my mp3 player and plug into the guitar input and then the thru out and go into a channel. .. I really am unsure. I use the trs outputs to a blank channel for better control so I need another output to play the mp'3s?

• Members

Yet - don't know if anyone ever watches the show Shark Tank - on Friday a company called Singtrix was on - They make a Karaoke machine that you plug your mp3's from your tablet etc. into and it does pitch correction and harmonies... They sell the entire package (2 mics, amp, stands etc for $349) so I assumed a professional unit like tc helicon could or should be able to do the same thing. I've got a email into tc helicon support.

• Members

Rumors band, I appologise unreservedly and have myself have been on the wrong end of a "smart ass" remark such as I gave. So sorry, I wasn't thinking. I did however just read through the manual and on page 68 it does say pretty much what I said in my first post. It will listen to your guitar for the key , if no guitar, it will go to any aux in, finally it will use Roomsense mikes although all of these settings can be altered. All the best with your device, they can be a bit overwhelming at first.

• Members

Heard back from TC and initially they said the chromatic tuner would just find the nearest correct pitch without having to worry about routing my mp3's... however a follow up informed me that the mp3's would work plugging into aux and splitting the output signal (mic and player)- Even further inquiries informed me that I can also just run my mp3 into the guitar input and thru it out into my mixer.

As far as the singtrix - they just advertise it as "plug your mp3 player (iphone / tablet) into the unit and off you go, so I'm not really sure how well it removes vocaIs. I know the tc works with midi however I have taken all my midi files and converted them to mono mixed mp3's. By doing so I now can use a 12 channel mixer instead of 16 channels and I'm embarrassed to say I can leave my windows 98 laptop home ( cakewalk 3.0) and use a little tablet. TC makes it seem it will read the chords from the mp3's and give me both pitch correction (when needed) and a better choice of harmonies than what I currently have. i'll try it this weekend and let you all know.

BTW - check out that singtrix - it was pretty slick

• 5 years later...
  • Members

Hello!
1) Is there any important resource missing on touch 2 present on voice live 3 extreme? 
2)Is some place I read that touch is the extreme dor dummies, is that accurate? 
3)And last and most important question... I saw extreme work backtrack using mp3  very well. Touch 2 does the very same? 
Tks
Be safe 

• Members

My wife has a Boss VE-500 unit she bought and we've been attempting to incorporate into our act. These types of things tend to work better for me when I create separate patches for each song although I also create some generic pitch correct focused patches as well for common keys like G, C, E, Dm, etc..

That works best for me as I'm using a computer for backing tracks and it's no biggie to run a midi cable to the unit from my interface. Your situation is probably different.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...