Considering a new mixer (a little help?)

• Members

The band consists of:

2 vocalist (thinking of adding a 3rd)
2 guitars
1 bass
1 drummer (vDrums)

I currently have a MixWiz, TC Electronics M-OneXL, Presonus ACP88 (only used for bass right now), ART HQ15 equalizer, and a furman wired IEM system.

With my move last year to powered speakers (Yamaha DSR112's over PRX618S-XLF's), the biggest and heaviest piece of gear we have is the instrument rack!

Here was my thought:

Move to a SL 16.0.2 and get each band member to get an iPOD Touch (or iPhone) for monitoring.

This would GREATLY reduce our PA size and setup time.

I have looked into the specs on the SL and here is what I have found as disadvantages:

1. There is no Aux send/return. I think this means I can't use my M-OneXL, so I am concerned about the quality of the verbs on the SL
  2. There is only a pseudo 3 band PEQ on each channel vs the pseudo 4 band eq channel strip on the MixWiz
  3. Losing 4 XLR inputs (12 from 16)

In addition to the weight and size, one current issue is the rack I currently have only allows the MixWiz to be in the folded position making it very difficult to plug in the XLR's at the gig (laying the rack on its face makes this better).

In all fairness, I don't use that many channels on the MixWiz, and since it doesn't have any stereo inputs, I use 2 channels just for an iPod for break music (vDrums do wonders for your channel input needs).

The advantages of moving to the SL would be:
  1. Much smaller and lighter
  2. Much faster to setup at the gig (with integrated IEM setup being wireless)
  3. I could probably just about pay for it with the sale of all my existing instrument rack gear

I realize that simply going to the SL16.4.2 would eliminate all of my issues, but it would be a much larger format mixer, and it is considerably more expensive.

What are your thoughts?

• Members

With only 4 aux outs, people would be sharing IEM mixes. I say go for the 16.4.2 it will cost a bit more but it gives you 6 aux outs, it's rack mountable, I believe it has 2 aux ins, and 16 XLR inputs.

Buy once, cry once instead of trying to make the wrong tool work for you. Don't get me wrong, I love my 16.0.2 for small gigs, but I can get away with 4 aux outs with the gigs I use it for...

Also, you'll need a comp as well. I picked up a Mac mini for $400 that works fine with it...

• Members
With only 4 aux outs, people would be sharing IEM mixes.
We all currently have the ability to have independent mixes. 3 of the 4 current members are running the mix flat (only what is coming out the mains).... so even 2 mixes would do. I do like the idea of having 4 auxes, but presently, I really only have 4 since 2 of them are dedicated to efx (onboard, and M-OneXL).

Also, you'll need a comp as well. I picked up a Mac mini for $400 that works fine with it...
Good point. I need to factor that into my costs.

I think the thing I am most concerned about is the onboard efx. The M-OneXL is quite good while it has been my experience that the MixWiz on-board efx are .... OK.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by dedmeet View Post
Although having a computer hooked to the SL is convenient, it is certainly not necessary for the mixer to function.
I was thinking, if they want to use the QMix app...

Also, the iPod or iPhone does not become the in ear wireless monitor. The QMix App controls the Aux Mix it's assigned to...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22 View Post
I was thinking, if they want to use the QMix app...

Also, the iPod or iPhone does not become the in ear wireless monitor. The QMix App controls the Aux Mix it's assigned to...
Yea, that is a good point. If I don't have a computer connected, how will I get the in-ear RF signal out?
I wouldn't worry about the quality of the effects on the SL, they are certainly useable.
Thanks Andy. Are they better than the efx on the MixWiz?

• Members

Without the computer, you simply take a line from each aux out into the wireless transmitter for the IEM's. Then you press the aux 1 button on the StudioLive and set the persons mix. Press aux 2 and set the second persons etc etc. no computer needed, you can do it from the mixer...

• Members

Switching over might reduce your PA size, but I'm not sure about set up time. Interfacing with computers and iPod phones... might not always be straight forward. And if you were using your rack as the mixer stand, you will now need a table.

However, gear purchases keep this forum alive (well almost) so I say go for it smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22

View Post

Without the computer, you simply take a line from each aux out into the wireless transmitter for the IEM's. Then you press the aux 1 button on the StudioLive and set the persons mix. Press aux 2 and set the second persons etc etc. no computer needed, you can do it from the mixer...

Except I don't have wireless transceivers. I wanted to use iPod Touch or iPhones as the receiver.

• Members

+1 on the advantages on the 16.4.2

Our gig over the weekend used a 16.4.2 and a 16.0.2.

The 16.4.2 has the 4 sub groups (we ended up using some groups for front fills). Sometimes we use up a sub group for our subs instead of burning an aux.

I can't remember but I believe there's more missing from the 16.0.2. (Haven't used that one much at all).
No GEQ on the auxes right? Something to that nature. Or there was only one GEQ and it wasn't assignable like the 16.4.2. (correct me if I'm wrong on this I didn't really use it)

That brings me to a question. When we use a sub group fed subs (we had different crossover models), how close does the crossover point need to be? We ended up leaving it at a point where it seemed like the mains were crossed over lower than the subs. But that's where it sounded best..?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BlueGreene View Post
That brings me to a question. When we use a sub group fed subs (we had different crossover models), how close does the crossover point need to be? We ended up leaving it at a point where it seemed like the mains were crossed over lower than the subs. But that's where it sounded best..?
This is why using the proper equipment is recommended by the pros here, that way these questions and problems become non-issues.

The answer is "it depends". Do both crossovers have the same filter type, slope and alignment? How about passband gains?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by OneEng View Post
Except I don't have wireless transceivers. I wanted to use iPod Touch or iPhones as the receiver.
Nope. It doesn't work that way.

You can control the mix of each instrument with QMix, but they don't act as receivers. They don't pass any audio on their own. You still need an IEM setup..

You don't need a comp, but you will an IEM setup for each band member.

• Members

sigh...

I have three issues I am trying to get around here. The first one is that my instrument rack is heavy. The second is that my current rack has my mix wiz inputs all facing down and is difficult to setup. The third is that setting up our IEM's takes longer than I would like since i have 4 people that each get a pair of cat 5 cables going to them. I have issues with cheep cat5 cables messing up, and being a tangled mess.

I really like our FOH sound with the mix wiz and my M-OneXL, but the above issues are a pain.

Here is what I currently have in the rack and how I am using it:

1. MixWiz folded in down position
  2. Art HQ15 which is barely used now that I have active speakers (mostly for the low and high shelf filter)
  3. Presonus ACP88 (used only for the bass guitarist since my drummer uses vDrums)
  4. Furman HDS6 wired IEM send
  5. TC Electronics M-OneXL for reverb efx
  6. Furman power conditioner with rack lights
  7. An old rack mount CD player I no longer use

I was originally thinking that I could simplify this rig by going with a digital mixer; however, if going with a SL means that I have to also have a computer, wireless router, and iPad touch(s) for every member, then it is going to be quite an overhaul.

Perhaps I could simply get a new rack and replace some of my old antiquated rack gear with smaller stuff... then get better cat5 cables and bundle them to make them easier to work with wink.gif

If someone would make a digital mixer with an integrated wireless bridge to a set of monitoring smart phones, they would really have something there. This should require VERY little additional circuitry in the digital mixer. Perhaps I should change my career and design digital mixers wink.gif

• Members

I hear you. My outboard rack weighs in at over 150lbs. Great stuff in there, high end dbx gates/compressors ect. Much like you rig. Today's show I will be able to pack my small system in my 4 Runner leaving my trailer behind.The DL has lightened my load considerably.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
This is why using the proper equipment is recommended by the pros here, that way these questions and problems become non-issues.

The answer is "it depends". Do both crossovers have the same filter type, slope and alignment? How about passband gains?
I honestly didn't know anything about them. I just played around with them until it sounded right to my ears. I just tried to stay away from EQing it as much as possible.

Archived