What's your go-to vocal mic?

Every recording setup or studio usually has one or two microphones that get used more than any other mics in the locker for artist's vocals. What's yours? If you have two or three that get used a lot for vocals, feel free to name more than one.

And as a follow-up question, what mic do you feel works best for your own voice?

And finally, if money was no object what vocal mic would you want to add to your mic locker?

• Moderators

I find that my voice works best on dynamic microphones. I own both the Shure SM7B and SM58, and they seem to record my voice without sounding too harsh like many condenser mics do.

If cost wasn't an issue, I would like to get my hands on a high end LDC, maybe something like the Neumann U87. Its a well-rounded mic, and apparently a great mic especially for female voices and voice over artists. I'm also curious how well it would record my own voice, since my voice doesn't work well on many lower priced condensers.

• Members

The most used vocal mic in the studio is my Shure SM7B, it just works so well on most of the type of things we record. Now as to what works best on my voice…it's an odd choice, but I don't sing, I use it for VO and narration as that is my primary income source, Sennheiser 416. Another mic I like on certain voices is a Peluso P12(AKG C12 clone).

My dream mic that I would like to have in my locker is an AEA 44c…or a refurbished RCA 44BX.

I had a pair of Neuman 87's years ago and ended up getting rid of them, I know it is sacrilege to say so…but I just didn't like that mic for many applications and always found myself reaching for another mic in the locker….so I sold them and with the money got various other mics and a few mic pre's.

• Members

What sorts of mods did he do the the Pelusso 2247LE?

i honestly don't remember lol

i know he worked on both the mic and the power supply

it's really rich and smooth now... it wouldn't be to everyone's liking as it's not as hyped in the highs (not that it wasn't a good mic to start with)

• Members

I have an MXL, Cad and Audio Technica large diaphragm mics for recording guests. Cant think of the models right now. I'd use them for my own vocals too and achieved decent results but I'd have to work my ass off using them.

I always felt more comfortable using a hand held dynamic for my own stuff because I could work the mic like I do singing live and could get close to it. The problem is with the dynamics I could never find one with the response that matched my voice properly. Using a large diaphragm would get me that response bit its a whole different thing when it comes to using mic techniques because you have to move so far to get dynamic changes. I could do it but just didn't like it.

I was using a Beta 58 or an sm57 for about 2 years before I came across the mics I'm using now.

If cost weren't an issue I'd likely use the same mics. My needs are modest and I've tried plenty of mics over the years. My own voice isn't super I wouldn't mind having a couple of Senheiser MD421. I like how they sound on Drums and Female vocals. I'd likely opt for a great preamp at this point vs another mic however

It took me nearly 40+ years to find the mics best for my voice. I finally came across the ElectroVoice PL84 that's a $250 mic on sale for $59. I liked the response so much I bought a set of 4, one with a switch for the drummer. I can use the mics live or recording so I wanted a matching set for the PA. I always hated having different mics for live sound because you had to tweak each differently. With a matching set you can set your Main EQ and Feedback eliminators up so they all tailor the same mic responses then just use the channel EQ to tweak it for individual voices.

The best part is these mics are incredible for recording. I can work the mic up close like I do when I'm on stage without a wind screen. It has great pop shielding and get practically no pops, esses or wind thuds from the voice used that close. I can switch to singing 90 degrees off axis and sing across the diaphragm get a crystal clear tone even with the hardest hard rock voicing.

I'd say the only drawback is they do pick up bleed-over when recording vocals live but that's the same issue any condenser has with their increased sensitivity. Too bad they aren't selling this particular model any more. They were a steal at the prices I bought them for. I have an old PL mic from back in the 80's which is beat to hell. It still produces a great response and I suspect these mics will also do just as well.

My other singer uses Shure BETA 87A. Both she and I used them side by side and compared the two and liked the EV mics better recording.

Specs are a nearly identical as well. They do have a higher response and dynamic level.

Product Description

The PL84 is a professional-grade cardioid condenser vocal microphone designed to enhance the creative expression professional singers have built their craft around. With its warm lows, musical mid-range and smooth high frequency response, the PL84 captures all of the intimate detail expressive vocalists require. Features

Voicing for intimate detail and presence

Smooth midrange frequency response

Cardioid polar pattern

High-output self-biased condenser element

Shock mounted capsule

Low handling noise

Fine mesh Memraflex grille

Element: Condenser (self-biased)

Polar Pattern: Cardioid

Impedance, Low-Z balanced: 200 Ohms

Connector Type: 3-pin XLR

Open Circuit Voltage: 3.5 mV/Pascal

Audio Frequency Response: 50 Hz - 20,000 Hz

Dynamic Range: < 115 dB

Maximum SPL (1% THD): 141 dB

Mic Type: Handheld

Power Requirement: 11 to 52 VDC, 1.9 mV

Wired/Wireless: Wired

Finish: Textured Satin Black

Case Material: Die cast zinc

Weight Net: 261 g ( 9.21 oz )

• Moderators

Phil, thanks for the pointer. I'm trying to keep a tight budget at the moment. I'm going to try to record my EP/album using the equipment I already have. I might try recording the whole thing using just a SM7B. Hopefully it will yield high quality results.

• Members

I don't really have a go to mic now. I track less and less and have sold off some of my mics. I had a Rode K2 that seemed to work on a lot of people. But it is long gone. I have some CAD M179's I could use. I also just picked up a MXL on a "stupid deal of the day" that seems to be decent. I plan on sending it to OktavaMod and getting it modded sometime. I'm also a fan of Heil Mics. We use a Heil RC35 capsule on a Shure ULX-D for our lead singer at church. It is killer. I have a PR22 I wouldn't hesitate to use for a dynamic style mic.

If I could pick anything. Maybe a Neumann U47. Or I wouldn't turn down another K2.

• Moderators
The SM7b is a good mic. What preamp are you using with it?

I'm using the SM7B with the GAP Pre-73 MK2.mic preamp. I read that these two are a good combination. Have you ever used the Pre-73? Any thoughts on it?

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I've been using an Shure SM27 for vocals lately and it works well for our singer. I also have a cheap OSP ldc I picked up that does a decent job, but not as good as the SM27.

I would love to have a Neumann, but even the tlm series is out of my reach for now........

Sennheiser 441' date=' and AKG 414B ULS are my go-to's. Still want to try a Neumann, and have NO experience with a good ribbon- hope to try soon. But, I REALLY need a better pre.[/quote']

Try the TLM102 if you get a chance. It's cheap by Neumann standards, but I really like it. As far as ribbon mics, Cascade Fatheads are really good, especially at the budget end of the price scale. I also really like Royer and AEA ribbons, and the Beyer M160 is another "desert island" mic for me. It's quite possibly my favorite guitar amp mic.

• Members

Thanks so much for the advice, Phil! I was actually thinking of passing up the AKG for the TLM102 but decided for now I'd keep the 414 for the multi pattern capabilities. I just picked up Dave Hunter's "Home Recording Handbook" and he is using the M160 and AEA R84. Ever since my first good mic - an AT4033 - I knew I was starting down a potentially expensive road....I think I'l first upgrade my preamp(s) - considering a Focusrite Octopre with Black Lion mod and adat to my Tascam fw1884 - then indeed look seriously at those other mics.

I have not heard their Focusrite Octopre mod yet, but I recently reviewed BLA's B12A MkII pre, and was really impressed with it. :)

Good microphones can be expensive, but like monitors, I feel it's a crucial area that shouldn't be skimped on if you're interested in quality results. I put a lot of importance on transducers...

• Members
Good microphones can be expensive, but like monitors, I feel it's a crucial area that shouldn't be skimped on if you're interested in quality results. I put a lot of importance on transducers...

Yes, but some great results have been achieved using SM57s and such. Experiment with what we have, if we have the time.

A breathy "ooh baby", might sound divine on an old 'supplied with cassette recorder' microphone.

?

Semper Fi.

Archived