Crest Audio P-2500

• Members

Does anyone have any experience with this power amp?
I inherited one of these and I had a couple questions regarding the mode switches on the back.
I emailed Crest and asked them if i could purchase a copy of the manual, but unfortunately they don't have it.
They did send me the data sheet for it, but it doesn't explain the switches etc...

Any help would be great!

Thanks

• Members

Specifically what don't you understand.

This amp goes back about 20+ years, but IIRC it was an early class G model that had a simple parallel-stereo-bridge mono switch and a ground lift switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevrazell View Post
Does anyone have any experience with this power amp?
I inherited one of these and I had a couple questions regarding the mode switches on the back.
I emailed Crest and asked them if i could purchase a copy of the manual, but unfortunately they don't have it.
They did send me the data sheet for it, but it doesn't explain the switches etc...

Any help would be great!

Thanks

• Members
IMG00098-20121110-2331.jpg
In this image the switch on the Left has "Meter Calib." above and "8 ohms 4 ohms" below.

IMG00102-20121110-2333.jpg
In this image the switch is labeled "Mono Stereo".

How would the meter calibrate function work?
If you ran this amp in mono, which connections would be used?

I guess it's pretty old and I should just be thankful it's still working smile.gif

• Members

The mono-stereo switch is how you get into bridge mono mode but frankly you will be better off just using it as a stereo amp. The older Crest amps were not terribly reliable bridged.

The meter switch is because the meter reads voltage and must be scaled for power. Power is a function of load impedance. Set the switch in the position that matches your speaker load.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
The mono-stereo switch is how you get into bridge mono mode but frankly you will be better off just using it as a stereo amp. The older Crest amps were not terribly reliable bridged.

The meter switch is because the meter reads voltage and must be scaled for power. Power is a function of load impedance. Set the switch in the position that matches your speaker load.
Pretty much as I suspected.
Wasn't sure if the Meter Calib/ohms switch was also serving another function or not.

Thanks.

Archived