Good deal on EV SXA250

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by J.Paul View Post
This the day after I made a comparable purchase for a lesser speaker.

ah yes...Murphy is alive and well
...it's the Law isn't it?
eek.gif
Return them,,,, or sell them. You really don't want to let a deal like this slip by. These are truly excellent loudspeakers, and at this price, it's just a fantastic deal. If I didn't already own 18 active PA boxes, I'd be all over this deal in a heartbeat. In fact, I'm going to call them to see if they'd deliver a pair here in Quebec. These boxes were selling for close to $1100. each, here in Quebec.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by voicemaster

View Post

Is this speaker better than Mackie SRM350?

I have no direct experience with the Mackie, but I've heard them sound harsh when pushed. The EV SxA250 is VERY smooth sounding 15"box, with clarity and intelligibility that rivals a lot of the good 12" boxes out there. The SxA250 is a plywood box (7-ply), yet it only weighs 49 lbs. I think they're a heckuva loudspeaker, especially at that price.

• Members

I already ordered a pair of these =). My church was using Mackie SRM350 for the mains, but we currently changed that with Meyer CQ1 which is sound much much...better than the Mackie of course. So, now I am trying to set a separate system for on the road gear like retreat and other events where we rent a building/room. So I hope this EV SxA250 can cover a larger area and not sounding as harsh as the Mackies when pushed a bit harder.

• Members

I can't speak to the "bottom end" of these speakers,,,, the only "spec" I found, stated 55Hz, but that was a -10dB spec. I can't find anything at EV's site, because they're discontinued. I A/B'd these boxes against the older PRX 512's, about 5 years ago, and they were virtually tied in clarity and detail. Had it not been for the $1100/box price here in Quebec, I would have bought a pair on the spot. Vocals sound VERY good in these boxes. Very smooth mid-range.

• Members

Musicians Friend won't deliver to Canafa unfortunately. I just called, But,,,,,,,,, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

There's an outfit called Kinek, which specializes in handling shipments for cross-border shoppers. Canadians can have their purchases shipped free, to any of the Kinek warehouses found near most of the larger Canada/U.S. border crossings. Basically, you get a "free" membership with Kinek, and they'll provide you with a U.S. shipping address. They'll receive and hold the shipment for you, until you can go and pick them up. The fees are very small as I recall.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note View Post
I can't speak to the "bottom end" of these speakers,,,, the only "spec" I found, stated 55Hz, but that was a -10dB spec. I can't find anything at EV's site, because they're discontinued. I A/B'd these boxes against the older PRX 512's, about 5 years ago, and they were virtually tied in clarity and detail. Had it not been for the $1100/box price here in Quebec, I would have bought a pair on the spot. Vocals sound VERY good in these boxes. Very smooth mid-range.
http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=210

Click on Engineering data sheets

• Members

I am VERY tempted to buy a pair. As some of you may remember, I posted a while back about wanting a more volume for some performances. My acoustic duo plays through a Yamaha EMX512SC and a pair of EV SX100+, which is a great setup for most of our gigs. However, I assume these would do better for those performances where more volume is needed. I like the price, but I don't like the weight. EV's specs have them at 55lbs. a piece.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by donkey 12 View Post
I am VERY tempted to buy a pair. As some of you may remember, I posted a while back about wanting a more volume for some performances. My acoustic duo plays through a Yamaha EMX512SC and a pair of EV SX100+, which is a great setup for most of our gigs. However, I assume these would do better for those performances where more volume is needed. I like the price, but I don't like the weight. EV's specs have them at 55lbs. a piece.
55 lbs is the "shipping" weight I believe. MF says 53 lbs shipping weight, and 49 lb's for the speaker. You sure as heck won't find many 15" 18mm plywood boxes that weigh so little. My Yorkville EF500PB's weigh something like 90 lbs. and same for my U15P's.

If you can deal with the added weight and size, the SxA250's will walk all over the Sx100+. You need GOOD stands with boxes like this. I'd stay away from the cheap junk.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note

View Post

55 lbs is the "shipping" weight I believe. MF says 53 lbs shipping weight, and 49 lb's for the speaker. You sure as heck won't find many 15" 18mm plywood boxes that weigh so little. My Yorkville EF500PB's weigh something like 90 lbs. and same for my U15P's.

The JBL PRX615m is listed at 43.5 lbs (19.7 kg) and is a plywood box. A little bit lighter than the EV (more so at the end of the night wink.gif .) Mark C.

• Members

I own (1) SXA250...
It is very light and pretty compact for having a 15" driver.
It has the typical EV sound, which to me is a smooth bottom end and very sparkly highs...great sounding cab.

What kills this cabinet is that it does not boast the high output wattage numbers like all the newer crap that is out there.
But don't be afraid of the power numbers listed, while it may not have the big SPL numbers like others it does a great job.

• Members

I picked up 2 this morning. Talked myself out of buying 2 more but it was hard. 2 years ago I mixed for a friend about 6 bands + other stuff and loved the speaker. He had a 8 box system with the matching 4 subs. 4 boxes/subs for the mains and 4 more for monitors. It sounded very good and had enough getup and go for about 350 or so without being into the limiters.

I wanted a set for some time after that but the $1100 price was just too much. At this price I was happy to pick them up.

Dookietwo

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note View Post

If you can deal with the added weight and size, the SxA250's will walk all over the Sx100+. You need GOOD stands with boxes like this. I'd stay away from the cheap junk.
The spec sheet I linked to says 56 cab weight, 64 shipping. I would think the EV spec sheet is the most likely to be correct.

• Members

A tempting deal for sure.

A nice sounding cab with plenty of highs. As mentioned the boxes don't have the "silly specs" of today. But I don't know if I could tell the difference between the horn getting 80 watts or today's 500 watts. Unless it was a 500 watt horn!

Archived