Mounting Speakers to Light stands?

• Members

Hey Guys... I have been doing a one man band with backing tracks for a while now. Playing really small places. Sort of completing with the DJs instead of bands. Anyway here's my question... I run 2 powered tops with one powered sub. I usually end up having 2 speaker stands and 2 light stands at the front of the stage. I would like to eliminate one set of stands. The light trees hold my frontlighting and dancefloor dj-style lighting. I don't think I could mount my light stand tops to the top of the speakers as I really have a lot of fixtures. But, is it feasible to mount my speakers to the lights stands instead? I would consider getting some light-weight QSC K8s or 10s if this would work. Thoughts?

• Members

Lighting tripod masts are usually 1.5" in diameter whereas speaker stand masts are 1.375" in diameter so that presents a problem from the get go.

Mounting your T bar to the top of the speaker would be quick and easy using the two rigging points and O Clamps fitted with M10 bolts.

• Members

Thanks for the reply Bill. But that leaves me wondering if the lights would then be high enough. Speaker stands usually top out at about 6 ft or so right? I was thinking if there was a way to mount a light weight speaker to the side of a 12ft light stand? Would the stand vibrate and rattle I wonder?

• Members

From my experiences, it's a terrible idea.

Yes, speaker stands are available in tall formats but the legs get very wide for stability.

Hanging speakers off of stands like you are thinking usually doesn't work because the center of gravity of the speakers becomes well forward of the center of the stand and the back of the speaker gets shoved against the center pole. Then there's the vibration issue, the tilt down issue and the getting it up issue. The big stands are quite a bit more expensive, ZI wouldn't even consider trying to use cheap stands for such an attempt. "All fall down" is not the way you want this to end.

It would be cheaper and much more convenient to get another sub, and use the poles between the sub and top.

• Members

Yes you are right. I hadn't thought about raising the stands! I was considering "hanging" it with the O-clamps from the T itself right beside the pole and then placing heavy fixtures to balance as necesarry. Was curious if the K8 was light enough for this. Thought my trees were rated for like 80-100 pounds and I would be WAY below that. Thanks for your input.

• Members

I use PRX612s in front. If I'm limited in area, I mount O-Clamps to the side rigging points of the speaker to hold a lighting pole that I can mount the T-Bar on top (this will get it high enough). You must counter-weight the lights on the other side of the speaker (I usually use a strap between the T-Bar and the sub's handle).

• Members

In my experience I think it would be a terrible idea also along with aged, I had to use my speakers on my light stands to do a event one time , i had to wind up tieing them to a tree next to the stands to make sure they stayed on the stand without getting knocked over. As bill was stating , the lighting stand would be too little fir the speaker to fit on. Mine just wobbled around and had a very noticable tilt to them , thats the reason i tied them to the tree. so i agree with Bill and aged. Dont do it.

• Members

If I read your posts correctly, you are thinking about hanging a speaker on the "inboard" side of the lighting stand's tee-bar, and mounting the lighting instruments to the outboard side. (Or vice-versa.) A K8 speaker is 27 lbs. If I read the QSC materials correctly, you can get a yoke kit to suspend the speaker. A K8 is 11" wide, so I would assume about a 6" or so centerline for the suspension point. Call it an 8" offset from the vertical axis of the stand. The yoke is presumably designed to hang the speaker in a fairly balanced position, so the fore/aft weight is probably directly below the mounting hole on the yoke. (Assuming a single mounting hole in the yoke.)

Would your lighting fixtures all fit on the other side of the lighting tee-bar, and would they counterbalance the 28 or so pounds of the K8? How would the balance be? You will have about a 60 pound load up in the air; that's getting kinda near the rated weight for your stands. 12' tall, and at 75 % of the rated load, sounds a bit shaky - literally as well as figuratively. You might want to mock up a dummy load and see how that seems to you. I don't know if it will be secure enough to withstand being bumped by dancers (or drunks); you know your own crowds and your risk-adversion better than we can.

YMMV Mark C.

• Members

I totally understand wishing to haul less gear - but - ONE mishap - and ONE person is hurt - and you go from being a happy go lucky rock star to being very very sorry. Personally - I am going to continue to mount LIGHTS from light stands - and SPEAKERS from speaker stands.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
I'm not convinced that's a consistently safe application for most users.
If it is done correctly, it can be very stable and secure. I don't like doing it, but there are some pretty small stages that don't leave you any choice. I've had to do this maybe 3 times in the last 4 or 5 years.

That said, if you have no choice and have to mount lights to a speaker poled above a heavy sub woofer you can do it safely with proper precautions. I would not recommend mounting a speaker to a lighting stand or lights to a speaker on a tri-pod.

• Members

You all are making valid points. Would not normally even consider this proposition for safety and the fact that I already own everything. Most places I will continue with both sets of stands. However, one place in particular is very space challenged. And if I did mount the speakers there, the stands would be off the dancefloor, not fully extended to max vertical height, and secured to some points on the sidewalls. Just wasn't sure how, or if, to attach speakers. Being that I was considering some new speakers I thought I would inquire about this first. Thanks all.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mutha Goose View Post
If it is done correctly, it can be very stable and secure. I don't like doing it, but there are some pretty small stages that don't leave you any choice. I've had to do this maybe 3 times in the last 4 or 5 years.

That said, if you have no choice and have to mount lights to a speaker poled above a heavy sub woofer you can do it safely with proper precautions. I would not recommend mounting a speaker to a lighting stand or lights to a speaker on a tri-pod.
And there's a big difference in executing well and being aware of the dangers that exist. That's why I suggested caution to the op and others who may be following

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy View Post
Hanging a loudspeaker off one side of a t-bar?
Are you crazy?
Is that what you think that picture is showing? And you want to know if I'm crazy? facepalm.gif

That is a PRX612 on a heavy duty KLM pole in a PRX618XLF. There are 2 O-Clamps mounted to the 612's side rigging points with a light pole secured to them. The lighting T-Bar is mounted on that pole. The T-Bar is has an eye bolt on the other side (free side away from light fixtures) with a strap securing the free end of the bar to the 618's handle (just enough force to counter the weight of the lights).

• Members
Is that what you think that picture is showing? And you want to know if I'm crazy? facepalm.gif

That is a PRX612 on a heavy duty KLM pole in a PRX618XLF. There are 2 O-Clamps mounted to the 612's side rigging points with a light pole secured to them. The lighting T-Bar is mounted on that pole. The T-Bar is has an eye bolt on the other side (free side away from light fixtures) with a strap securing the free end of the bar to the 618's handle (just enough force to counter the weight of the lights).
It's not a very clear picture. And I'm not crazy. I have paperwork to prove it. Do you?

• Members

Sorry but the pic is so dark Its hard for me to tell but it looked like you have a loudspeaker hanging off one side of a tbar.

Archived