Beating a decomposing horse: More thoughts on the "bands v. dj" in a corporate or wedding setting

wasjamieb

• Members

Exactly. I do like going full meal deal. I'm old school, music always had a show involved. Late 80's all the bar bands had big light rigs, sound guy, light guy. These days guys with a pair of speakers on sticks wonder why they aren't making the money in the local watering hole. Sure the bars don't pay like they used to, but a lot of times the bands aren't bringing the rigs anymore either.

• Members

We played our local chamber of commerce awards gala last weekend. A big deal, we brought our A-Game and full rig. Big pay as well ($2,500, which is our NYE/big party fee) there's a new head of the CHamber. Last year we played the chamber Xmas party, this year they went with another local band. 0CF93129-51CE-43A7-8EF6-FE3D631752EF.jpg I know the new head of the chamber. I ran into her at a gig and we were chatting. She just wants to be fair and give the opportunity to another local band as well. Since we are playing the gala, the other band will play the Xmas party. Well I think it kinda sucks, I also see how she wants to be fair about things. I know one of the guys from the other band, good guy. They have a smaller setup, but I'm sure it will be fine. 0CF93129-51CE-43A7-8EF6-FE3D631752EF.jpg My band is playing a Christmas party the night before, so we were expecting a big rush back to back weekend. It will be a bit more laid back on our part for the weekend, so losing the gig isn't the worst thing that could have happened. I don't know what the price is for the other band, I know they are less than us. That's fine with us, the chamber will see the difference between the bands. Our strength is being able to really tailor the night to the crowd. We know so many songs, and are able to meet almost any request. I know the other band are younger guys, I've seen their song list, it will be a good night for them

• Members

True enough we always bring our A-Game. I just meant full meal deal gear wise. Hell, I got some interst for some gigs in the next town for my band from attending an open mic there. Just myself and our bass player. I'm definitely a secondary singer in our group. The guy could tell from the job just the two of us did that he's interested in booking our band in January, so that's a pretty good compliment. You've always got to do your best because you never know who will be in the audience.

• Members
We played our local chamber of commerce awards gala last weekend. A big deal, we brought our A-Game and full rig. Big pay as well ($2,500, which is our NYE/big party fee) there's a new head of the CHamber. Last year we played the chamber Xmas party, this year they went with another local band.

If it's largely the same crowd it's probably best to not be the only band they hire for events. Don't wanna burn yourself out on the crowd.

• Members

There is still a demand for people who can sing and play instruments, something dj's don't do. It's really apples and oranges. Personally, when my daughter had her big quincenera(15th B-day bash) I hired a dj, because that is what her and her friends wanted. My older daughter is about to get a masters, and being 27, she'd rather I bring my band for her party. Her and her friends like live music more than dj's. I'm sure other 27 year olds might rather party to a dj.

I think gear, or lack of it, has an effect on the perception of the crowd, but it really comes down to entertainment, and plenty of people can entertain without lights or even a PA. Can they see you, hear you, and does it sound good? If so, it can work IMO. Of course, pro sound, lights, and engineers are going to give you an edge, and possibly make the difference.

• Members

DJ vs Band. This past weekend we played a gig and some guy comes up to us just as we are about to start the next set. He came in with a group of maybe 15 people. He comes over, holds out his iPod and says, "Hey can you play [some song I've never heard of] on the PA. I'm a DJ and my friends will all totally dance to it." My quick-thinking singer says, "Well we don't really have a way to hook that in without the right cable. You'd have to ask the bar to use their system."

Now, she probably shouldn't have said that last part, but it sent him off on his mission, kept us out of it, and made us look like nice guys to this new group...well...this purported DJ who knows what his friends will dance to. So, what happens? The bar hooks up his iPad and plays the song. Some terrible awful how-do-you-dance-to-that piece of junk. Not one of his friends even wiggled their butts. No reaction from them (or anyone else in the bar) at all. Finally, mercifully, the bar cuts off the song and we can start our set.

DJs don't always know what gets people moving and can be just as guilty as a band for playing what they like instead of what works.

• Members

Opus: I think you may have stumbled upon something that I thought about the other night. Ask ourselves what is changing or evolving quickly in the last 5 years? Smart - cell phones. Can be in even podunk towns now and what do you know there is a 3g connection. Can surf, facecrack, youtube, whatever. I'm djing' this guys birthday party in a small bar and of course I do the usual, try to get as much info as I can on what birthday boy likes so I can cater to his likes...Of course here comes the line of requests right after the first 30 seconds of playing, and I oblige the best I can, I'm friendly about it and yes they see my workstation. I hate to say it but no matter where I go there is always some abstract (whether it sucks or not is a mute point) music they want to play so normally I youtube it and mix it the best I can. I usually try to hide this behind the dj software but alas customers are not stupid. Once they found out that, then more strange wierd abstract requests came in. Ok we can do this not a prob, que it up play it adjust the volume after getting past the commercials, do a lot of crossfading to hide the crap you don't want coming through (you tube commercials). So I got to thinking...................

Why not run multiple jacks throughout the location and have those fed to the mixer? Viola. Now everyone is the DJ. I think it maybe be a possibilty but the tech is going to suck. You can't run 50 or 100 foot runs with unbalanced cable with a mini plug on it. Headphone the feeds say 4 and decide which song you will play next and how you will mix it.

I called a business today and get this, the voice mail states it converts the messages to text messages so speak slowly, I'm sorry but is our society too lazy to pick up a phone and listen to someones voice? Is it really that much work? I guess so. So if everyone wants to be the DJ why not let them plug in with multiple hookups throughout the location? I can see where this would hurt revenue for jukeboxes, however maybe have them pay to plug in? Thoughts...just thoughts......

• Members

nchangin, there is already a jukebox system that is kind of like that. It's called TouchTunes. You can use your iPhone to hook into the TouchTune jukebox at the venue and add songs to the queue. For a fee. And for an additional fee, I think you can bump up in line. Kinda like your idea only without the need for all the hardware hookups running all over. It's just a downloaded app and one piece of equipment in the wall hooked up to the services via the internet. I've seen it slowly creeping its way around into more and more places.

• Members
nchangin, there is already a jukebox system that is kind of like that. It's called TouchTunes. You can use your iPhone to hook into the TouchTune jukebox at the venue and add songs to the queue. For a fee. And for an additional fee, I think you can bump up in line. Kinda like your idea only without the need for all the hardware hookups running all over. It's just a downloaded app and one piece of equipment in the wall hooked up to the services via the internet. I've seen it slowly creeping its way around into more and more places.

Yes but there is no live DJ, your missing the point sir. :) hmmmmm or have your own app, what a pain. chuckle. LIVE DJ, just like they say LIVE BAND there is a meaning to it....whether it's subliminal or psychological I don't know...heh

Archived