First Home Studio

• Members

I'm planning a small home studio set up for next year.

I'm currently playing guitar with my band, but want to do some solo home recording.

I'm a real newb on this stuff so would like some help.

Here's my fist thoughts on gear.

Macbook with logic pro loaded

Focusrite Scarlett 6i6

Arturia Minibrute synth

Arturia SparkLE for drums

Pair of KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Studio Monitors

SM57 or E906 for guitar amp

Vocal mic - Advice needed

What do you think?

I like the idea of the Focusrite interface you've selected since it has not only the two mic preamps, but also two additional line input channels. Add a small mixer or two channel outboard mic preamp and I'm pretty sure it's capable of recording up to four channels simultaneously - which means that it can grow with you as your skills and needs change. If you decide later that you'd like to be able to record a basic demo with your band, your interface has what I consider the minimum number of channels needed (four) to track drums.

As far as a vocal mic, there are all kinds of options available, and the best mic really depends on your particular voice characteristics and preferences.

Some decent budget models you might want to consider would include the new Rode NT1, the MXL 880, Blue Reactor (usually $500, but currently on sale at Musician's Friend for $199), or Audio Technica AT2035 - all of which sell new for about $250 or less.

Don't forget the incidentals - mic stands, cables, Stedman pop filter for the vocal mic, etc.

Archived