I'm working on a Christmas "album" to give to family and friends. Questions about nuts and bolts.

• Members

I am using a Tascam DP-008EX and an AKG C-414 ULS mic.Looking to do maybe 6 songs.

I often have thought about how knowing 2 or 3 pieces of information can vastly improve the

quality of something, or one's performance, or whatever. So I'm looking for those 2 or 3 things

if someone can suggest them. I know next to nothing, but am following the Tascam mastering

and exporting procedure. Not looking to do fancy mixing, but maybe some basic EQ setting, or

a setting on the mic. Or whatever.

I'm beginning to work on "We Wish You A Merry Christmas". BTW, I mostly play piano, but had

rotator cuff surgery a week ago to repair 2 torn tendons. I came up with this idea to give me

something to work on musically. The uke vsn of Silent Night was done before my surgery.

Thanks,

Dave

• Members

Not having any problems really. Just some trial and error learning which never hurt anyone. I was thinking along the lines of say when someone sings out of tune and you want to tell them if they'd just drop the key a tone or two....

So I thought someone might hear something like that. Of an audio nature.

Thanks

The arrangements are fairly stripped down, which generally leaves a lot of "room" - which in turn tends to make it a bit easier from a balancing / mixing and EQ'ing standpoint. There's more room, so less need to surgically cut away at the material in order to "make space" in the mix for all the various elements. That's definitely helping you from a recording standpoint, but I do feel that maybe some of the tracks could use a little bit more in terms of the arrangements and instrumentation.

The mic you're using is definitely a pro-quality mic, and that's also bound to be helping as well. Can you tell us a bit about how you normally position it? Also, how "hot" are you running your levels into the TASCAM?

Considering the gear you're using and your present physical limitations (get well / heal soon by the way! :wave: ) I'd say you're off to a very good start. :) As you work with the gear and try various things, please don't hesitate to ask us specific questions.

As far as suggestions based on what you've recorded and posted, I'll try to listen again either later tonight or tomorrow and get back to you with some specifics.

• Members

I measured and the mic is about 2 ft from where I'm sitting on the couch. The mic is set on the "8" pattern.

I'm pondering Frosty the Snowman. So far I've just recorded the melody acapella and done fly by the seat of my

pants arrangements. Just find sonething that worked and go with it. But the purely acapella sound is wearing thin

and I'm wanting to sound different now. I'm thinking of trying for a mid-50's - mid-60's kiddie record vibe for

"Frosty". I'm not concerned that it sounds professional enough that it would be played on a radio station, but

that it sounds "good". I have an off-brand Melodica. Can't play a bass part with it because of the range limitation.

Pondering how to treat the vocal. If I come up with something I'll post it.

It's a fun exercise.

• Members

I did "Frosty". I gave in and recorded a simple bass part on the piano. There's no rhythm chord instrument playing on the 2nd and 4th beats. In addition to the melodica I remembered I have a child's xylophone I used.

If you have any technical advice, it's appreciated. It may be that this treatment of "Frosty"

is still too sparse to warrant tweaking.

Archived